- 180 g water
- 2 tsp dried instant yeast
- 1/2 tbsp Activated Charcoal
- 30 g Butter, unsalted
- 2 eggs 1 whole and 1 yolk, Second white for glaze
- 420 g plain flour
- 25 g sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 20 g melted butter, Optional see tips
- 1 egg white, Optional see tips
2h 30minPreparation 2h 30minBaking/Cooking
8Recipe is created for
- Weigh 180 gm of water straight from the tap into the TM bowl then add your 2 tsp of yeast, taking care not to pop it onto the blades but into the water.
- Set the TM to 37°c/3 min/Sp 1 when the time is up, leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Weigh or measure the remainder of the dough ingredients into the TM bowl (pop the charcoal powder in first so it doesn't escape through the hole in the lid and make a mess) and mix on speed 5/15 seconds to combine then knead for 3 minutes on interval speed. (Wheat symbol)
- Once complete leave the dough in the TM bowl and pop the MC in place. Leave to rise till doubled in size. This should take around an hour.
- Remove the dough from the TM bowl and divide into 8 or 9 buns depending on what size you want them. (around 95 g each for
- Shape each bun into a ball then gently flatten the top by pressing down with the flat of your fingers or palm of your hand.
- (If desired, brush the buns with the melted butter and allow to prove.) Cover with cling film and allow to rise for around another hour. They're ready to bake if you can push your finger in and the indent slowly releases back. If it springs back quickly and you cant see any impression at all, prove longer, if you put your finger in and the indent stays in you've proved too far. Just don't let it get that far, lol. keep checking after an hour at room temperature. If you live in Queensland start checking in ½ an hour.
- If desired, when proved, add the egg white with a Tbsp of water mixed with a fork and brush the surface of each bun then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake the buns in a preheated 190°c oven for 18 to 20 minutes, Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter. This will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust.
- Cool the buns on a rack.
Accessories you need
Brushing buns with melted butter will give them a soft, crust. Brushing with an egg-white wash (1 egg white beaten with1 Tbsp of cup water) will give them a shinier, crunchier crust. For seeded buns, brush with the egg wash; it'll make the seeds adhere.
All flours differ slightly and the amount of water can vary. Once you understand what bread dough should feel like you'll find baking bread a breeze. The ideal texture of the dough after kneading should soft smooth but slightly tacky to the touch. It shouldn't need flour to be added to stop it from sticking to your hands or bench top but if it does add it in very small amounts at a time. Adding more flour will only make your dough heavy and hard in texture. Soft light buns need soft light dough.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Ruth’s Sourdough Rye Turkish Bread
- Gf cheese and onion mini breads
- brioche rolls masterchef
- Sue’s White Bread Loaf
- Low FODMAP Easy Everyday White Bread
- Wholemeal rolls
- Dutch Oven Bread (crunchy crust) *** WARNING - THIS BREAD NEEDS 12 HOURS OR OVERNIGHT TO RISE!!!
- Breakfast bread
- Simply Delicious Sourdough Bread
- Gluten Free Bread- Go to recipe
- Gluten, Grain and Nut free Bread rolls
- Jumbo White Bread Loaf
- Pork Fritters
- Pumpkin Soup with Chorizo
- Nanna's Lemon Butter
- Chocolate Layer Cake
- Luscious Chocolate Frosting
- Sweet Lamb Curry - Retro
- Mississippi mudcake
- Old fashioned Cream buns
- Orange Pineapple Juice
- Decadent Fudgy Chocolate Brownie
- Murgh makhani (Butter chicken)
- Sultana Cookies - Gluten, Dairy, Egg and Nut Free