- 1 Whole chicken (around 1.5kgs)
- 6 chicken wings, optional (helps to make the broth more gelatinous)
- 2 litres water
- 2 litres water, (this is not a typo, you'll need it twice)
8Recipe is created for
Pop your chicken wings in simmering basket and whole chicken in varoma with any wings that won't fit in simmering basket whilst ensuring some steaming holes are open. Season as or if desired.
Insert Simmering basket in mixing bowl and fill with water. Be mindful not to go over the max fill line.
Place mixing bowl lid and varoma in position.
Cook for approximately 70 minutes, varoma temp, speed 2. This time is dependant on size of chicken and may need to be extended.
Check water level with 30 mins remaining and top up if required (I choose to, this leaves me more broth - liquid gold). If wanting to cook veggies with this dish, I add them with 25 minutes to go and it depends again on the size of your chook and the space left in the bowl.
When finished cooking, cut through the leg joints to allow all the extra juices to fall into the bowl, confirm chicken is cooked then remove varoma and simmering basket and proceed to strip the meat from chicken and wings, set meat aside or plate up for dinner.
Empty broth from bowl and set aside. If wanting to make a chicken gravy, leave around 400-500ml in bowl, add 1-2 tbsp veggie or chicken stock, 35-40gms plain flour or thickener of choice and cook for 7 minutes, 80 deg, sp 4. This can be cooking while you strip and dish the chicken.
This first broth is amazing as a base for soups or stews, but i personally love to drink it straight as it's so great for our gut health and tastes DELICIOUS! (I won't be offended if you think this is gross)
Place stripped chicken carcass and wings into simmering basket, if the carcass won't fit, pop it back into the varoma.
Insert simmering basket into mixing bowl, and fill with fresh water, again being mindful of the MAX line, do not go over.
Cook 60 minutes, varoma temp, speed 2, checking water level and topping up if required at 30 minute mark.
When finished, set broth aside. This batch won't be as strong as the first round, but again is great for soups and stews.
- Please refer to my Facebook page, Ali Hammo - Thriving with Thermo and the pinned post at the top of the page for the final 'No Waste' step. Apologies for this, but i'm unable to refer to it here or the whole recipe will be removed.
Roasting Chicken, First Broth produced, veg and gravy
For any questions, please contact me through my Thermomix Facebook page and this website makes it challenging to respond directly.
You can reach me at Ali Hammo - Thriving with Thermo
Creator of the Ohhh Emmm Geee recipe series. Search 'Ohhh' to find all my others
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Variation Apricot Chicken
- Sweet & Sour Pork Belly
- Mum T's meatloaf
- Spicy beef
- Meatloaf with Barbecue Sauce
- Roast chicken low carb
- Chicken sausage & macaroni casserole
- Thai chicken cakes with satay sauce and pickled cucumber drizzle
- Satay Chicken
- Portuguese Pea stew - Ervilhas com ovos escalfados
- Variation Chicken, Bacon, Pumpkin & Spinach Risotto
- Quick Quiche Boats
- OMG Ali's Savoury Scones
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Caramel Mars Bar Slice
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Chocadamia Caramel Slice
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Chocolate Salted Caramel Melting Moments
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Caramel White Choc & Macadamia Slice
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Choc Salted Caramel Slice
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Condensed Milk
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Salted Caramel Truffles
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Choc Salted Caramel Balls
- Ohhh Emmm Geee That's better than Caramel Top N Fill!!
- Ohhh Emmm Geee LCHF Fat Bombs
- Ohhh Emmm Geee Caramel Banoffee Pie
- Gluten Free Anzac Biscuits
- Hot cross buns
- Green pesto vegetable soup
- Vegan “cheese” puffs
- Claypot Rice
- CREAM FILLED ECLAIRS WITH CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Hemp rolls Vegan/Paleo/Gaps
- Blueberry and Lemon Hot Cross Buns
- Cauliflower whip
- Leek potato soup
- Ham, Cheese and Zucchini Pizza Scrolls
- Sweetcorn and Potato Chowder