- This is one of those dishes that I've had at a restaurant and have re-created at home. In this case, the Venice in Albany. It's a vegetarian meal, but can be easily prepared for carnivores by the addition of some crumbed veal, pork or chicken.
- This is a summer dish as you will need a l ot of fresh ripe tomatoes.
- It sounds complicated as there are quite a number if steps involving a bit of preparation, but it's not difficult at all. If you happen to have some left over risotto, this is a great way to use it up. The stuffing ingredients can vary depending on what's in your fridge or garden.
- Vegetable Medley with Tomato Passata
- 1. Zucchini stuffed with roasted pumpkin, fetta and topped with mozzarella
- 2. Tomatoes stuffed with zucchini, spinach and basil
- 3. g reen Capsicum stuffed with mushroom (or vegetable) risotto.
- Make the Tomato Passata first:
- 2 kg tomatoes
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- salt (requires quite a bit, but to your own taste) and pepper
8Recipe is created for
Peel tomatoes by dropping into boiling water for a few seconds. Slit
skin with a sharp knife and peel. Chop into quarters. Sauté onion and
garlic in hot oil. Add tomatoes and simmer until tender. Add tomato
paste and salt and pepper to taste. Blitz with a stick blender. Set
While the Passata is cooking, make a Risotto of choice. I make a
Mushroom Risotto in the Thermomix because I don't have to worry about
stirring it. I use a mixture of dried porcini, chantarelle and fresh
Filling for Zucchini
1 cup small dice pumpkin or sweet potato
1/2 onion, small dice
1/4 cup crumbled fetta
Saute pumpkin in oil until browned, add onion and sauté until softened.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add fetta and set aside. When
zucchini half has been pre-steamed, (I use the Thermomix) press into
cavity. Top with grated mozzarella.
Peel by piercing a few holes in each tomato and dropping into boiling
water for a few seconds. Allow one tomato per person. Slice top from
peeled tomatoes and remove seeds and flesh, leaving just a shell.
Filling for Tomatoes
1 Tbsp butter
Sauté zucchini in butter and when soft add spinach and torn basil
leaves. Stir until wilted. Add freshly ground pepper to taste. Allow to
cool and fill tomatoes. Top with fresh breadcrumbs and grated parmesan.
I find it's best to turn capsicums upside down as the stem end is more
stable. Remove the stem and turn on it's end. Slice the top from each
capsicum (1 small one per person or half a large one). De-seed and
remove membranes. Place in steamer basket with zucchini and steam until
Fill with risotto and top with garlic breadcrumbs and mozzarella.Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Place all stuffed vegetables into a wide dish, such as a lasagne
dish and place enough Tomato Passata in to cover base of pan to 1 cm
depth. Place dish in oven for about 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour or until
tomato is softened and toppings are cooked and browned. While this is
cooking, put the remaining Passata in a saucepan and heat gently on the
Place each vegetable on a serving plate, cutting zucchini into portions
and spoon sauce around base to cover plate. Top with sprigs of basil or
parsley. Add crumbed veal, pork chops or crumbed chicken for the
I forgot to photograph the final assembled platter.
Accessories you need
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Spicy pumpkin and pea quinoa
- Vegan coconut chickpea curry
- Italian Vegetable Risotto
- Nutty chickpea and sweet potato curry - kid friendly
- Red Lentil, Chickpea & Coriander Dahl (adapted from Woolworths Magazine)
- Silverbeet and Rice Bake
- Apple and Cinnamon Porridge
- FODMAP friendly Eggplant Curry
- Grain Free Vegetable Lasagne
- Warming Kitchari
- Dahl Curry
- Mushroom & Brown Lentil Bolognaise Sauce