- 170 grams rice flour
- 120 grams tapioca flour
- 800 grams coconut milk, ( preferably Chef's Choice )
- 1 Cup of water
- 250 grams sugar raw
- 1.5 litre hot water, ( for steaming )
- 2-3 stalks pandan leaves, ( knotted )
Place sugar and cup of water in TM bowl and mix for 3 min. at 50 °, Speed 3. Make sure that sugar is totally melted.
2. Place coconut milk and flours into the TM bowl and blend at Speed 2 for 1 min.
3. Divide mixture into 2 equal parts, and colour 1 pink by adding red food colouring.
4. Put hot water into TM bowl and add the knotted pandan leaves.
5. Heat a 20 cm steaming tray on the Varoma dish, and cook for 5 min., Varoma Temp, Speed 3.
6. Ladle white batter ( about 100gm) into baking tin forming a thin layer. Steam for 3 min. at Varoma Temp. Speed 3. Ladle a thin layer of pink batter ( 100g ) on top of the white and steam for 3 min., Varoma Temp., Speed 3. Continue steaming thin layers alternating pink with white until the eighth layer which will be the pink layer, and making sure each layer is cooked before adding the next layer.
7. For the ninth layer colour it bright red by adding a little more red colouring to the pink batter and spreading it over the steamed kueh. Steam again for 3 min., Varoma Temp. at Speed 3.
8. Cool in the steaming tray before cutting the cake. ( do not put in fridge )
NOTE: Make sure that the steaming tray is absolutely level before ladling on the batter. If it slopes even slightly the layers will not be even. Use different ladles for different colours and do not mix them or the colours may run.
Accessories you need
This dish is sometimes known as a 9 layered cake. Red is the colour chosen as red is aupicious to the Chinese. However for funerals blue would be the colour chosen. This is not the traditinal method of making the cake but an easier method. It is still time consuming but as a nyonya I still feel that it is well worth it.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Donut ice-cream
- Superfood Seed Bar
- Barney Banana Ice Cream
- Super Easy Waffles
- Biscoff Icecream
- Cherry Ripe Slice
- Raw Berry Caramel Slice
- Snow Skin Mooncake
- Mooncake Fruit Custard Filling
- Mandarin, Almond & Cardamom Muffins
- Apple & Peanut Butter Bliss Balls
- White Chocolate & Berry Cheesecake - Gluten Free