- 250 g chicken, cooked & deboned eg left over BBQ chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic, optional
- 25 g olive oil
- 50 grams Butter
- 110 g Flour, Plain
- 500 grams Milk, ideally full cream
- 1.5 Chicken Stock Cube, dissolved in a little of the milk heated in a microwave
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 sprigs parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 150 grams breadcrumbs
- 300 grams oil, for frying, vegetable or non virgin olive oil
7h 30minPreparation 30minBaking/Cooking
8Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
- Put the deboned chicken in the and chop 3 seconds/speed 5. Remove and set aside for use in Step 7. Rinse .
- Put onion in (and garlic if desired) and chop for 2 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down bowl.
- Put butter and oil in bowl and cook 6 minutes/varoma/speed 1
- Add flour and cook 5 minutes/110°C/ speed 2
- Add milk, stock cube(s) (or stock paste or salt), nutmeg, black pepper and some parsely and mix 10 seconds/speed 6
- Cook 6 minutes/120°C/speed 3
- Add chopped chook and fold in: 20 seconds/speed 4. Speed 4 seems to be necessary because the bechamel is now very thick.
- Transfer the mixture to a large flat backing tray and spread to about 1.5cm thick and leave to cool. Once cool, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several (6-7) hours until chilled. This will make forming the croquettes easier because you can turn the mixture out and cut into oblongs.
- On a flat work surface dusted with flour, form croquettes into 2- to 2 1/2-inch (5- to 6.25-cm) long cylinders about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. Lightly roll in flour.
- Place flour in a bowl. Break the egg in a 2nd bowl and thoroughly whisk. Place the breadcrumbs in a 3rd bowl.
- Dip the croquettes in flour, then the egg (completely covering) and roll in breadcrumbs to completely cover.
- In a skillet or sauté pan, heat at least 3/4 inch/2 cm of sunflower oil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Working in small batches that don’t crowd the pan, fry the croquettes, turning frequently, until they are golden on the outside and hot and creamy at the center, about 2 minutes. Gently transfer them to absorbent paper towels to drain off excess oil. Serve hot or at room temperature (as is the custom in Spain).
As an alternative in Step 8, put the mixture into a pastry bag and put this in the fridge and then in Step 9 squeeze out an amount equivalent to one croquette. As yet another alternative put amounts of the mixuture in squares of foil and roll out to a roll of about 1.5cm in diameter and put these into the fridge, then later for Step 9 unwrap and just cut them to size.
Can add more flour in Step 4, up to a total of 140g if you prefer a thicker mixture.
Many people skip the flour in Step 11 but I think it makes the shell much more crunchy and contrasts well with the soft interior.
You can substitute the chicken for boiled ham or flaked cooked cod fish as well, or even cooked vegetables, broccolli or spinach would work well but make sure you remove all the water first.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Vegan Spanakopita / Spanakopitakia (Pumpkin, Spinach & Feta triangles)
- F45 Sweet Potato Pancakes
- American Self Rising Biscuits (scones)
- Capsicum, Tomato and Chilli Chutney
- Cocktail Meatballs Spicy and Delicious
- Chilli and lime cashews
- Sour Cream Cherry Slice
- Gluten Free Nutella and Peacan Biscuits
- Beetroot and Orange Spiced Chutney
- Savoury Streusel Muffins
- Gougère puffs with salmon mousse
- Bacon, sweet potato and zucchini slice