- 450 gram beets, (about 6 small)
- 1 --- small red onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 100 g apple cider vinergar
- 100 g red wine vinegar
- 100 g water
- 1 level tbsp honey
- 1 level tsp salt, sea, fine
- 1/2 level tsp black peppercorns
Recipe is created for
- Trim the greens and root ends of the beets
- Wash the beets thoroughly using a soft scrub brush, place in a pot and cover with water by about 1 inch
- Bring to boil over high heat then lower heat and simmer for about 35 to 45 mins or until beets are easily pierced with a fork
- Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water
- Peel the beets (optional)
- Using a sharp knife or mandalin, thinly slice the beets and red onion and set aside
- In the Thermomix bowl "Closed lid" , place the vinegars, water, salt, honey, black peppercorns and bay leaves
- Pleace the veroma on top, with jar inside and then cover. This will steralize the jar as the pickling sauce cooks
- Cook for 5 mins, on Veroma temp, Speed 3 "Counter-clockwise operation"
- Remove jar and arrange beet slices in alternating layers with the onion slices in the jar
- Pour the pickling sauce over the beets leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Let cool completely. Then screw on lid and refridgerate for a minimum of 2 hours before serving
Prepare Pickling sauce
Accessories you need
You could probably cook the beets in the steaming basket instead of a pot if you prefer.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- MIxed Grain Bread rolls
- Blanch Vegetables
- Beef and Lentil Soup
- Beef Ragu
- Bigilla - Maltese broadbean dip/paste
- Cacao Protein Slice
- A1 Bakery's Cheese Pie by Haikal Raji - converted by Thermo Cazza
- Healthy Oat Slice
- Sri Lanken Cashew and Coconut Curry Paste (clone of Passage to India)
- Perfect Fish / Prawn Tacos with Slaw
- Thermomix Play Dough
- Pickled Beetroot