THERMOMIX ® RECIPE
- 2+ fillet firm white-fleshed fish, e.g. barra, up to six pieces
- 2+ banana leaves, for steaming and serving
- 2+ cups of sticky rice, SOAKED FOR 6 HOURS
- pinch Salt and pepper, for seasoning fish
- 80 g vegetable oil
- 2 clove garlic, finely sliced
- handful thai basil leaves, washed and dried
- few coriander leaves, washed and dried
- 1/3 MC of Fried Asian Shallots
- 1/3 MC of sesame seeds
- 5 cm piece of ginger, peeled and halved
- 2 long red chillies, halved, deseeded optional
- 100 g palm sugar, roughly shredded
- 60 g lime juice
- 60 g fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon tamarind paste (40g)
Cover the rice with water generously and leave to soak at least 6 hours
1. Toast sesame seeds for 5 minutes, Varoma Temperature, reverse speed 1. Tip out and wipe TM bowl.
2. Pour oil in TM bowl and set to 14 minutes, varoma temp, reverse speed 1
3. After 2 minutes, drop the garlic in and allow to fry
4. When there is 4 minutes to go, drop in the thai basil leaves.
5. When finished, pour onto a piece of paper towel over a small bowl.
6. Add the ginger, take the reverse button off ans chop 4 seconds speed 7, add chilli to the TM bowl chop for 3 seconds speed 7
7. Pour back 20g of the reserved oil and sauté for 3 minutes varoma temp speed 1
8. Weigh in the sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and tamarind paste and cook for 6 minutes, varoma speed 2.
9. Tip into a small jug or bowl and wash out the TM bowl
The remaining oil is a beautiful seasoned basil and garlic oil for stir fries.
NOTE: If you don't mind using the stove top and want to save time - you can prepare the garnishes in a pan while the fish and rice are steaming. Simply fine slice the garlic, chiffonade the chilli and grate the ginger.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok over high heat. Add garlic and cook until golden (don't burn it or it will be bitter). Transfer to paper towel. Add 2 more tablespoons of oil and fry the basil until crispy and reserve on baking paper. Tip out all but 1 tablespoon of oil and add the ginger and chilli and stir fry for 1 minute. Then add the sugar, lime juice, tamarind and fish sauce (you may need extra tamarind, lime juice and fish sauce if cooking in a pan) and cook until syrupy. Transfer to a jug.
Season the Fish with a little of the reserved oil, salt and pepper and a little of the sticky sauce, sprinkle with half the toasted sesame seeds and wrap in the banana leaves.
Rinse out the rice, and put in the bottom tier of the Varoma, shaping into a donut to allow the steam to pass through well.
1. Put 1000g of water into TM bowl, set to 28 minutes, varoma speed 2
2. Place fish in the top layer of the Varoma, and place all levels on top of the TM.
3. Stir the rice 1-2 times in the cooking time.
4. To serve – place cooked fish on banana leaves, pour a small amount of sauce on top and sprinkle with the crunchy garlic, basil leaves, remaining sesame seeds, shallots and fresh coriander.
Fish and Sticky Rice
If you don't have sticky rice, just cook jasmine rice in the simmering basket as per normal (remove after 17 minutes of cooking time). This gives you more room in your varoma for more fish, or veggies!
A perfect accompaniament to this dish would be some 'stirfried' greens (beans, chinese broccoli, zucchini) in ginger and basil with some cashews.
I like to serve with a chilli, ginger jam (clone of in the mix apricot and cardamom paste). I will post this recipe //www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/chilli-and-ginger-jam/59665
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Salmon Curry
- Steamed Tuna Loaf
- Cheesy Tuna Mornay
- Fish with ginger, chilli and soy dressing.
- Garlic Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- Creamy Tuscan salmon with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes
- Z's Grilled Octopus
- Creamy Tuna Tomato & Pasta
- FISH FILLETS 'ALLO STILE GENNARO CONTALDO'
- Thai Fish Cakes (Tod mun pla)
- Tuna, Zucchini and Pea Slice
- Braised Jew Fish