- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper corns, (or ground white pepper)
- 3 long green chillies, roughly chopped
- 2 onion shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2cm piece of fresh turmeric, (10g), peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, root part only (serve leaves with curry)
- 6cm piece of fresh galangal, (30g), peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 quantity green curry paste
- 20 g palm sugar, roughly chopped
- 1 400ml tin coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised with base of spatula
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on and trimmed (or just ordinary thigh fillets)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- sea salt, (optional)
- sliced cucumber and fresh coriander, to serve
- cooked rice, to serve (see Everyday Cookbook)
Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and white peppercorns (if using) to clean, dry TM bowl. Dry roast 5 minuts/Varoma/speed1 MC off. With MC on, mill 1 mintue/speed 9 or until finely ground.
Add ground white pepper (if using) and all remaining ingredients to TM bowl and process 5 seconds/speed 9. Scrape down and repeat until a smooth paste forms. Set aside half of the curry paste for the curry and store the remaining half in the fridge or freezer.
Preheat oven to 180˚C. Add palm sugar to clean, dry TM bowl and grate 5 seconds/speed 10. Tip into baking dish. Add curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime leaves and lemongrass to baking dish and mix to combine. Rub the chicken with salt (optional) and place in the baking dish skin side up.
Cover dish with a tight fitting lid or aluminium foil and roast for 1 hour. Increase the temperature to 200˚C, remove foil and roast for a further 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crispy. Skim any fat from the surface of the sauce and stir through the lime juice. Serve with fresh coriander, sliced cucumber and cooked rice.
Roasted Green Chicken Curry
Cooking time will vary depending on your oven and the size of chicken thighs used to adjust time accordingly to ensure the chicken is not over or under done.
Fresh galangal and fresh turmeric can be found at Asian grocers or specialty spice stores - it is well worth sourcing these ingredients as the flavour is absolutely amazing! Fresh galangal and turmeric freeze will so when you see them, grab some - that way you will always have them on hand.
Don't have fresh spices? No worries. It's the particular flavour combination that makes this dish a winner so, although fresh turmeric/galangal and freshly roasted/ground spices will give a greater depth of flavour, pre-ground or dried spices should still give a delicious result.
Original recipe from Issue 69 Donna Hay Magazine. Adapted for Thermomix by Erica Noble.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Massaman Curry Paste
- Peanut crusted chicken
- Leftover Chicken Burgers - Using Leftover Cooked Chicken
- Chicken Fricassee (great with Smoked Chicken)
- Variation Chicken Broccoli Bake
- Mustard and chive chicken
- Clean Thai Beef Salad with Brown Rice
- Sous Vide Rib
- Padang Style Chicken Curry Recipe
- Curried Sausages
- Slow cooked Curried Sausages - with hidden veggies
- Variation Kid-friendly pearl couscous bolognese for Mum and baby
- Quinoa cornbread (or muffins or slice)
- Healthy(ier) Monte Carlo Biscuits
- Lemon Curd and Blueberry Streusel Cake
- Rhubarb Ginger and Orange Sorbet
- Slow cooked lamb madras curry
- Cheesy Pumpkin and Caraway Pan Scones
- Jude Blereau's World Peace Bars
- Baklava Muffins
- Vanilla Sugar Biscuits
- Shortbread Stars
- Boules de Neige (Snowballs)
- Chocolate and espresso brulee tarts
- Massaman Curry Paste
- Matt's Laksa Paste
- Green curry paste
- Laksa Curry
- Laksa Curry Paste
- Thai Green Chicken Curry Recipe:
- Beef Rendang (Indonesian Beef, Chilli And Coconut Dry Curry)
- CHICKEN AND PRAWN LAKSA
- Thai Green Curry
- Steamed Sea bass in galangal, lemongrass & turmeric, wrapped in banana leaf & served with green mango salad - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Choo Chee Curry (mild version)
- Poached Chicken in Lemongrass Broth