- 250 g Canned Chickpeas
- 150 g Chickpea liquid, This equals ONE tin of chickpeas including the liquid in the can
- 35 g cold water
- 35 g Vegetable stock paste
- 20 g white vinegar
- 1 level tablespoon dried onion powder
- 2 level teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1 level tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 220 g Vital wheat gluten flour
2h 30minPreparation 30minBaking/Cooking
8Recipe is created for
- Measure all ingredients EXCEPT the Vital wheat Gluten into bowl
- Blend 30s sp 9 until very smooth
- Measure Vital wheat Gluten into bowl and blend 15 s sp 5 until just combined.
- Sit for 15 mins to allow gluten to activate
- Clean bowl and add 1.5L of boiling water into the bowl
- Cook on varoma sp 3.5 for 60 minutes then refill water, reset and cook for a further 60 minutes (total 120 minutes varoma)
- Refrigerate your seitan until cold. Pull apart the loaves into shreds.
Making the seitan
Steaming your seitan
Shredding the seitan
Accessories you need
The seitan can be used as is in sandwiches, or however you would use cooked chicken breast. Stir fries, pot pie, curries, burritos, pasta.
Change the herbs to suit the intended dish- or even leave it out for a very neutral flavour..dried mixed herbs give the seitan an italian style flavour. Fresh is fine but will turn the seitan greenish. Try Coriander or flat leaf parsley!
You could also slice the loaves as a substitute for chicken loaf, slice and bread crumb for nuggets or schnitzel.
Vital Wheat Gluten is available in many health food stores, bread making supply stores, bulk food shops and online. (It may be named Vital wheat gluten, gluten flour, pure gluten)
No other flour will work, the vwg is essential to this recipe.
You do not need to use the chickpea liquid (aquafaba) in this recipe. If you wish to use it for another recipe, just replace with water and a tad salt.
You may use other beans but chickpeas are quite neutral tasting. You may add other flavourings as this recipe is very forgiving.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Ultimate Vegan Cleansing Salad
- Fresh tomato tart
- Bok choy and coconut curry
- Savoury Oat Flour Pancakes
- Chickpea Curry
- Adaption of Ambitious Kitchen's Moroccan Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- Vegetarian 'meatballs' (contains Nuts)
- Mushroom & Vegetable Quinotto (Vegetarian)
- Pumpkin & Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Breakfast Beans
- Bok Choy with garlic and oyster sauce
- Vegetarian Tacos or Bean Dip