- 200 grams Flour, Plain
- 1/2 lemon, zest only, no white pith, peeled in strips
- 1 pinch salt
- 90 grams butter in 2cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard
- 40 grams cold water
- 400 grams chicken thighs, skinless cut into four pieces
- 50 grams Butter
- 120 grams leek, white and light green part only, well washed, sliced into thin rounds
- 100 grams peas, frozen or fresh
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, optional
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- flaked salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
1h 55minPreparation 1h 30minBaking/Cooking
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
- Weigh flour, zest and salt into mixing bowl and blitz for 6 sec/speed 8.
- Add butter and mustard and mix for 5 sec/speed 5 until a breadcrumb consistency is achieved.
- Set to knead for 30 sec/Knead. While kneading, pour cold water onto lid and continue kneading until mixture comes together. Turn onto a silicone mat or clingflim and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Without washing mixing bowl, weigh in 600 grams water. Arrange chicken in Varoma and set Varoma in place. Steam for 16 min/Varoma/speed 2.
- Remove chicken, discard water from mixing bowl and insert butterfly whisk. Place chicken into mixing bowl and shred for 5 sec/Reverse/speed 4. Set aside in a bowl. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place butter and leek into mixing bowl. Cook for 9 min/100°C/speed spoon.
- Add peas, curry powder (optional) and thyme. Cook for 2 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 1.
- Add leek mixture to chicken and gently stir with a spoon or spatula to mix. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Divide pastry into one-quarter and three-quarters. Roll out larger portion into a large circle, about 5mm thick, and top with filling. (Ideally, your filling is cool at this point but it’s possible to live on the edge - see the video!) Roll smaller pastry piece to about 5mm thick and cut into strips. Decorate pie with lattice and crimp edges to make a border.
- Lightly beat egg and brush pastry with egg. Place in oven and bake (170°C) for 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
Allow to cool a little before cutting into slices. Eat as is or do as I do and serve with a green salad.
Accessories you need
While making this freeform chicken tart, I share a few fun tricks: flavoured pastry (mustard, mmm), shredded chicken (Thermo-genius), and a simple technique for creating a pastry lattice. I also let you into my love affair with buttered leeks – could they be the key to happiness? I love serving this tart with a simple green salad, maybe with rocket or butter lettuce. It’s picnic-friendly too!
Watch the video here
• Use any available greens in place of peas, eg. asparagus, broccolini, spinach.
• Use cayenne pepper or paprika instead of curry powder.
• Use any herb of choice in place of thyme; try oregano, parsley or mint.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Gluten Free Pizza Base (with hidden veggies!) Makes 2 large bases
- Spinach ricotta star
- Quick flatbread
- EmeraldSue Grain Free Crackers
- Savoury muffin
- Variation Zucchini Slice
- Gluten free cheese scones
- Cheese, Bacon and Onion Scones
- Variation lemon poppyseed muffins
- Cheesy sour cream and chives crackers
- Sausage Cranberry Rolls (bites)
- Spaghetti Bolognese Muffins
- Inside-out chicken parmigiana - Dani Valent
- Emergency Lentil Soup
- Fortune Cookies
- Basque Cheesecake
- Bloody Caesar and Clam Salad
- Passata - Dani Valent
- Red capsicum pithivier with parmesan pastry
- Double Trouble Fennel and Tomato Chutney
- Semi-dried Tomato Grissini
- Chilli Tomato Sorbet
- Chilli Cherry Ripe
- Carrot, Maple and Sultana Muffins
- Healthy Peanut Butter Blondies
- Vi's lemon curd crumble muffins
- German Crust Bread
- Jenny's Chocolate Weetbix Crunch Slice
- Smoky Chipotle Venison Casserole
- Miso suace
- Cheats Sourdough
- Spiced Pumpkin and Vegetable Soup
- Milo Biscuits Variation
- Apricot, Yoghurt and Coconut cake
- Tomato Salsa Dip