- 40g vintage cheddar cheese, cut into 2cm cubes
- 30g parmesan cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 small-medium brown onion
- 4 leaves spring onion
- 30g oil of choice for sauteing
- 2 rashers lean bacon cut into pieces (omit if vegetarian)
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp TM veg stock or 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g w/meal spelt flour
- 100g white spelt flour
- 5tsp baking powder
- 70g feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and oil 12 hole muffin tray well (or they will stick due to the cheese).
2. Grate cheddar and parmesan cheeses 7 seconds/speed 7 and set aside. No need to rinse bowl.
3. Add brown onion, halved, and spring onions cut into 1-2cm pieces to bowl. Chop 5 seconds/Speed 5. Scrape down with spatula and repeat chopping.
4. Scrape down, add oil and sauté with MC off 6 minutes/90degrees/Speed
5. Add bacon pieces and cook 2 minutes/100degrees/speed
6. Add half the milk and cook a further 2 mins/100 deg/speed 1
7. Add other half of milk, egg and TM veg stock (or salt) and mix for 5 seconds/Speed 4
8. Add crumbled feta and ¾ grated cheeses reserving some for top of the muffins
9. Add flours and baking powder and set TMX to closed lid position and knead for 15 seconds
10. Spoon mixture immediately into muffin tray and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
11. Bake for 15-20 minutes in 180 degree oven
12. Check with skewer, but if the muffins are golden, they should be cooked through. Allow to cool for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack.
13. Enjoy warm and crispy muffins or if keeping for a few days place into fridge or freezer once cool.
You can also make these muffins with normal wheat flour. I just prefer spelt for a low gluten option.
If you use self-raising flour just add 1 tsp baking powder rather than 5 tsps!
5 tsp sounds like a lot of baking powder but believe me you don’t taste it once muffins are baked.
As a serving suggestion, tomato and a few greens like baby spinach go well.
My husband and I actually ate them this way for dinner... yes muffins for dinner - that was a first and we really enjoyed them warm and crispy!
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.