- 380 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g brown sugar
- 130 g Butter
- 130 g golden syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and mix 12 sec/speed 6, then knead 50 sec/.
Transfer gingerbread mixture onto a lightly floured ThermoMat or work surface and shape into a smooth ball. Transfer mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
Place chilled gingerbread mixture between two sheets of baking paper and roll out to a 4mm thickness. Remove top layer of baking paper, then using a cookie cutter, cut out desired shapes (e.g. gingerbread people, stars, hearts, Christmas trees).
Place gingerbread shapes onto prepared baking tray and bake for 10 minutes (180°C) until lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Decorate shapes as desired, then serve or store in an airtight container.
This recipe produces approximately 12-18 gingerbread biscuits. This number could vary depending on the size and shape of your cookie cutter.
- To decorate, use the Royal icing recipe in The Basic Cookbook or Everyday Cookbook.
- If using the gingerbread for decorating your Christmas tree, use a drinking straw to punch a hole at the top of the biscuit prior to baking so a ribbon can be threaded through for hanging once cooled.
Other users also liked...
- Spiced chocolate doughnuts - Louise Keats
- Steamed Sea bass in galangal, lemongrass & turmeric, wrapped in banana leaf & served with green mango salad - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Black sticky rice with taro & blue matcha ice cream - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Cauliflower tacos with chipotle sauce
- Soba noodle mee goreng
- Feijoa Bakewell tart
- Little piggy faces
- Orange sesame chicken with broccoli and noodles
- Pizza pockets
- Sticky buns with brown sugar glaze
- Bacon and cinnamon scrolls with salted maple glaze
- Strawberry and watermelon cake with vanilla cream (recipe by Nico Moretti)
- Apple Slice cake
- Tuna Dip
- Custard Cake
- Choc Caramel Slice- made with Caramel Condensed Milk.
- Chicken, pumpkin, basil pesto risotto
- Peanut butter brownie bliss balls
- Sweet corn fritters
- Cheesy green capsicum chicken
- Aussie potato scallops or Potato Cakes
- Easy as apple tea cake
- Scallion chicken
- Cheats Peach or Apple Kuchen