- 250 g dark chocolate
- 250 g Butter, room temp
- 200 g water, or alcohol
- 340 g plain flour
- 30 g cocoa
- 0.5 tsp Carb Soda
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 490 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons Red food colouring, powder
- 2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 eggs, large, room temperature
Preheat oven to 150c Grease and line a deep 23cm round tin Place chocolate, butter, sugar and water in TM bowl 50deg/3 mins / speed 2
Add remaining ingredients (except eggs) mix 30 secs sp4-5.with blades running sp 3, add the eggs, mix for 1 min.
Scrape sides down and then mix another 30secs / sp 4
Pour mixture into prepared pan and level. Bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Insert a thin-bladed knife or wooden skewer into the centre of the cake to test whether it is cooked through. When cooked through, remove cake from oven, cover with a clean tea towel and allow to cool in the pan.
When the cake has cooled to room temperature, remove it from the pan. The top surface of the cake will probably have a crunchy crust, which you may wish to trim off. We turn the cake upside down to give a flat surface for icing.
Best Made the day before, wrap in glad wrap, then foil. I made it a week ahead and froze it.
I made this recipe up as I wanted a very moist red velvet cake for Hubby's birthday June 13. I halved the mixture between one 6" cake tin and some muffin cases. Very moist, very dense. I can recommend Tia Maria for an alcoholic infusion!
I used three different layers for a ribbon effect: whole orange cake, strawberry cake, and very red velvet cake, sandwiched with orange butter, strawberry butter, topped with raspberry jam, and served with a side of cream.
If you want it less rich, you could omit the cocoa.
If you wish to use red liquid colouring use less water accordingly.
Red velvet cake traditionally uses cream cheese or ermine icing.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Lemon Bliss Balls
- Apricot Macadamia Crackers
- Chocolate Mint Biscuits
- Mum's Shortbread
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- Peanut Butter Biscuits
- Choc Peanut Butter Bliss Balls
- Walnut choc chip meringue cake
- Yummy Rocky Road
- Fructose free, dairy free cinnamon cookies
- Cranberry chocolate snack bars
- Vegan chocolate, raspberry and pistachio layer cake
- Anniebee's Nutella Spread [no added sugar]
- Lime and Coconut Cake
- Real chocolate ice cream
- Annieb's Healthy Carrot Cake [no sugar or oil]
- Vanilla Shortbread
- Rocky Road Salami
- 60 Second Strawberry Cake
- Anniebees Adulterated Anzac Cookies
- Loukoumia - Greek or Turkish Delight
- Wattleseed Shortbread
- Oatmeal Choc Chip Breakfast Cookie
- Cauliflower & Smelly Cheese Soup
- Dulche de leche
- Easy Cheesey Mac and Cheese
- Christmas Pudding - Gluten Free or Regular
- White Chocolate and Macadamia Cheesecake
- SALTED CARAMEL VODKA
- Simple Mantou (Steam Bread)
- Variation Stewed Rhubarb and Apple
- Vegetable and Lentil Soup
- Green Tea Mantou (Steam Bread - Mantou)
- Pumpkin Mantou (Steam Bread)
- Creamy Celery, Potato and Leek Soup
- Pandan Coconut Jam (Kaya)