- 2 A4 sheets of confectionary rice paper
- 550 g castor sugar
- 350 g liquid glucose
- 115 g honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggwhites, at room temperature
- 100 g Butter, softened
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 210 g Roasted Hazelnuts, (or almonds), skins removed
- 150 g dried sour cherries, (or dried cranberries)
- 1000 g water, + 30g vinegar to clean TM bowl
Trim the rice paper sheets to fit a 20cm-square cake tin. Use one sheet to line the base of the tin, reserving the second sheets for the top of the nougat.
If necessary, dry roast the hazelnuts (or almonds) in a frypan on the stove. Allow to cool and rub to remove skins. Set nuts aside.
Thoroughly clean a TM bowl, lid and butterfly. Add water and vinegar and heat for 10 minutes on Varoma temperature on speed 4. Dry everything thoroughly with a clean tea towel and then place the eggwhites in the cleaned TM bowl. Insert butterfly. Set TM bowl aside.
Weigh in chocolate to second TM bowl, breaking into squares as you go. Grate for 5-10 seconds on speed 8. Melt for 2 minutes at 60˚C on speed 3, or until melted. Set TM bowl aside.
Place the sugar, glucose, honey and vanilla in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until the sugar begins to dissolve. Place a sugar thermometer in the saucepan and increase heat to high. Bring to the boil and cook for 7-8 minutes or until temperature reaches 130˚C.
While the sugar mixture is boiling, watch the thermometer. Once the temperature reaches 110˚C, place the TM bowl with the eggwhites in it on TM base and whip eggwhites until stiff peaks form (3-5 minutes at 37˚C on speed 4).
With the blades on speed 3, gradually add the sugar mixture to the eggwhites in a thin stream through the hole in the lid. Beat for a further 1 minute on speed 3, or until thick and glossy.
With the blades continuing on speed 3, gradually add the butter, whisking well before adding more, and whisk for 1 minute or until combined.
Working quickly, fold through the melted chocolate, hazelnuts and sour cherries by hand using the spatula.
Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and cover with remaining rice paper. Press to flatten. Set aside in a cool, dry place for 8 hours or until set. Once set, remove from tin and use a serrated knife to cut into 16 squares. Place in a well-sealed airtight container lined with non-stick baking paper. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature to serve.
A second bowl and blade set is really handy for recipes involving melting chocolate. If you only have one TM bowl, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water on the stove.
To get the nougat out of the tin, first run a knife around the edges and, with the tin upside down, twist the tin back and forth until the nougat comes out.
Sour dried cherries are available in some specialty stores, delicatessens and health food stores.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Variation Choc Mint Bliss Balls with Crown Mints
- One Minute Snickers from Wholefood Simply
- Indian rice pudding
- Caramilk No Bake Cheesecake
- White Chocolate, Cherry Brandy Balls
- Churros - Gluten free
- Chocolate avocado mousse
- Fresh mango muesli
- Layelles too easy Caramilk Tart
- No bake Malteser cheesecake with caramilk swirl
- Baked Espresso Martini Cheesecake with Kahlua Syrup
- Quinoa cornbread (or muffins or slice)
- Healthy(ier) Monte Carlo Biscuits
- Lemon Curd and Blueberry Streusel Cake
- Rhubarb Ginger and Orange Sorbet
- Slow cooked lamb madras curry
- Roasted Green Chicken Curry
- Cheesy Pumpkin and Caraway Pan Scones
- Jude Blereau's World Peace Bars
- Baklava Muffins
- Vanilla Sugar Biscuits
- Shortbread Stars
- Boules de Neige (Snowballs)
- Variation Honey Cinnamon Roasted Almonds
- Chocolate Panforte
- Grant's Green Sauce
- Beetroot Smoothie (GF DF NF AIP)
- Peanut butter short bread
- Nigella's Chocolate Gingerbread
- Double layer chocolate frosted Birthday cake
- Healthy Chocolate, Raspberry and Blueberry muffins
- Choc Quinoa Brownie
- Super Hot Chilli Jam