- 250 g Red or white rice, soaked overnight
- 750 g water
- 1 bunch gotukola (atharitis plant), or other greens such as spinich or kale
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 g coconut milk
- pieces Jaggery or sweetener of choice
- 4-5 cubes ice
Recipe is created for
1. Wash and soak the rice overnight.
2. Place the gotukola or the greens of choice into the TM bowl together with the ice and coconut milk and blend for 1 minute at speed 9. Set aside.
3. Strain the rice and place the rice in the TM bowl with the water and salt. Cook for 20 minutes on speed 1 at 100 degrees on reverse .
4. Add the herb coconut milk prepared ealier into the rice and mix for 30secs at speed 1 on reverse .
5. Serve with a piece of jaggery or sprinkling of rapadura sugar or honey.
6. If you like the rice further cooked, place it in the thermoserver for 5-10minutes.
7. Add a clove of garlic when cooking the rice for added health benefits.
Herb rice porridge
Accessories you need
Wash the bowl immediately after use or soak and wash.
This is a traditional Sri Lankan breakfast. This dish can be made with brown rice however increase the water content and cooking time.
Sri Lankan jaggery is a sugar made with the sap of the coconut flower. It has some the the vitamins and minerals that processed sugar lacks.
Gotukola is commonly known as centella and I have seen it at Bunnings sold as 'arthritis plant'. It is considered a medicinal plant in Sri Lanka and is very nutritious. It is very easy to grow and you may find it in Asian green grocers. If you know a Sri Lankan, ask for some. They might be growing it in their backyard
Gotu kola claims to contain certain chemicals that seem to decrease inflammation and also decrease blood pressure in veins. Gotu kola also seems to increase collagen production, which is important for wound healing.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Rice and lentils (majadra)
- Pasta Alla Norma
- Chicken spinach and basil dumplings
- Salmon Mornay with rice
- Spaghetti Bolognese Hidden vegetables
- Char Kuey Teow
- Variation Butternut pumpkin and vegetable macaroni cheese pasta bake
- Variation Chicken, Chorizo & Mushroom Risotto
- Chicken Kiev Pasta Bake
- Mediterranean risotto
- Coconut rice my way ( with a little help from the TM5)
- Aunty Jessie’s Jam Sponge Cake
- Green wellness juice
- Banana Bread
- No bake Malteser cheesecake with caramilk swirl
- Baked Espresso Martini Cheesecake with Kahlua Syrup
- Brown sugar and toffee cookies
- Teriyaki salmon with rice
- Vegan espresso coconut cream caramel
- One-banana Banana Bread
- Janine's Rez B Haleeb (Rice Pudding)
- Banana and white chocolate brownies
- Turkish simit