- 2-3 Cups cooked rice, or Cauli Rice
- 1 carrot, roughly diced
- 1 stalk of broccoli, and florets if you like
- 1 small onion, quatered
- 1 red capsicum, quatered
- 30 g Butter, or coconut oil
- 20 g oil
- 1 package Diced bacon, or 1 cup ham or left over cooked chicken, steak or pork diced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican Spice Mix, I use Gourmet Organic Herbs one
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or sauce
- 200 g tasty or other cheese
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- sliced spanish olives
- fresh coriander or spring onion
- pumpkin, dice with other vege
- can of red or black beans
- smoked paprika if you don't have Mex spice mix
- sweet corn kernels
- char grilled capsicum
- tinned cactus, seriously!
- chili flakes or fresh diced
- sour cream, to garnish
- Salsa, stir thorough or garnish
- Guacamole, to garnish
- Corn chips, on the side
Recipe is created for
This is the ultimate 'left overs meal' where you throw together a few things you have on hand and with a generous tablespoon of Mexican spice mix and some cheese transform it into a delicious dinner where everyone will be begging for seconds.
Firstly don't be afraid to substitute some ingredients or add what you have on hand. I always keep the stalks of broccoli to throw in dishes like this but you can use any green like kale stalks. If you don't have zucchini but have spinach, use that but throw it in last. If you have a green capsicum or none at all don't stress. Pumpkin in place of carrot is great. Left over meat from a roast or braise or a packet of diced bacon is perfect but you could also use diced hard boiled eggs or just add a can of beans and some toasted almonds for protein.
Secondly this is great made with freshly cooked rice, with cold left over rice or best of all with 'Cauli Rice'. For instructions on how to make this amazing rice out of nothing but cauliflower see the end. Ok lets get started!
Add your hard vegetables to the Mixing bowl (carrot, broccoli stalk, onion if you want it finer, pumpkin if using etc) and chop for 4-6 secs./speed 5.
Now add the soft veggies like onion, zucchini and broccoli florets if using (only use a few florets or it will be too broccoli). Chop with the other vege still in there for 4-5 secs./speed 3.5.
If using bacon add to the vege to sauté. Pre-cooked meats or eggs don't need to cook so just dice or chop in your Thermomix later and add to the rice before you bake it.
Add the oil and butter to the vegetables in the Mixing Bowl and sauté for 10 mins./Varoma//Speed 1.
If you need to cook the rice from scratch then I boil it on the stove for the 10 minutes while the vege are cooking as it can be a little under cooked. Or better yet I make Cauli Rice first and steam over the Vege (see end).
When your vege are ready toss with the rice, Mexican spice mix and other additions you might be using.
Grate the cheese in your Thermomix for 10 secs./speed 6. Make sure the bowl is not too hot or the cheese will melt, you may need to rinse it in cold water first.
Mix half the cheese through the rice mix then tip it into a casserole dish and top with the rest of the cheese.
Bake at 180-200°C for 20-40 minutes or until heated through and golden on top. Enjoy!
If your rice was cold it will take longer than if you use freshly cooked rice or Cauli Rice.
To make Cauli Rice simply dice a head of cauliflower and add the stalks to the Mixing Bowl first then the florets.
Chop on speed 4 for 10-15 seconds while watching to see the size. Chop for additional 5 second burst if needed, until you get the size and consistency of 'white rice'.
Steam it in the Varoma above the vegetables while they cook.
The Ultimate Left Overs Meal
Mexican Rice Bake
As mentioned you can add all sorts of things to this dish and you can make it look rather pretty by topping with slices of char grilled capsicum and spanish olives before you add the cheese. It can be gourmet or simple depending on your mood and what you have on hand.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Honey mustard chicken
- THAI STYLE PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
- Tomato, Feta and Basil Pasta
- Best Ever Fried Rice
- GF Easy Non-Fried Fried Rice
- Quick Chick
- Creamy chicken gnocchi with spinach
- Bacon, Sun-Dried Tomato & Spinach risotto
- Red Capsicum Mac and cheese.
- Sweet Potato Pea Risotto
- BLADE COVER Alfredo pasta
- Variation One pot pasta bolognese - Hidden Veg
- Paleo Chicken, Sage & Brandy Pate - Dairy Free Option
- Cream of Smokey Tomato Soup - Paleo, GAPS, Dairy Free, Vegan
- Paleo Soft American Style Cookies 3 ways! - Grain & Gluten Free, Vegan option
- Paleo Waffles - Gluten, Grain & Dairy Free
- Paleo Fluffy Waffles with Whipped Coconut Cream - Gluten, Grain & Dairy Free.
- "Un-Fried Cauli Rice" - Paleo, GAPS, Gluten & Grain Free, Vego option
- Paleo ANZAC biscuits (Gluten & Grain Free)
- GAPS & Paleo Zucchini Pancakes - Hidden Veggies
- Delicious Paleo Butter Chicken Curry - Mild (GAPS, gluten & dairy free option)
- 2 ingredient Pumpkin Custard (Dairy, Grain & Gluten Free, GAPS & Paleo)
- Super Silky Paleo Cauliflower & Parsnip Mash
- Easter Spiced Paleo Cookies (GAPS, Grain & Gluten Free)
- Old fashioned cream buns with mock cream filling
- Fresh Cucumbers and Reap Tomatoes Salad
- Cauliflower, Paneer and Pea Curry:
- Chicken Satay with peanut sauce
- Honey mustard chicken
- Japanese Wasabi Egg Salad
- Japanese Wasabi Potato Salad
- Rosemary & Garlic Broccoli Bread
- Japanese Devilled Eggs
- Cantonese style Sweet Corn and Crab Meat Soup
- Five Ingredient Thai Green Curry Recipe:
- Veg Thai green curry recipe