- 1kg cucumber, continental, thinly sliced
- 2 level tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 level tsp dried chilli flakes, (Optional)
- 2 level tsp fennel seeds, (Or fresh Dill can be used instead)
- 1/2 level tsp ground turmeric
- 1 or 2 level tsp black peppercorns, taste depending
- 2 level tbsp salt, fine
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups water
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
- 1. Place thinly sliced cucumber and onion into a large bowl and sprinkle in layers with salt, mix through.
Leave for an hour (or overnight if possible) to soften.
Drain any excess liquid, but don't rinse veges
2. In TM bowl, combine vinegar, caster sugar, peppercorns, mustard seeds, fennel or dill, chilli flakes (if using) and turmeric, with 2 cups of water. MC, 10mins, 100 deg, Spd 1.
Add cucumber and onion slices in to liquid - MC, 8mins, 80 deg, reverse spd stir/0.5.
Careful not to overload bowl. (Work in batches if needed, utilising all same liquid)
3. Using small tongs or a scoop, transfer cucumber onion mix into sterilised jars, loosely packing until 1cm below top of jars. Add liquid to jar, filling to coat every slice. Screw lid tight and turn upside down whilst hot, for 30mins until lid seals.
** Store in cool, dark area for up to 6 months or in fridge once opened
Accessories you need
for a different flavour/tang - I have also substituted half the white wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- My Everyday White Bread
- Coffee Streusel Muffins
- Treens Thai Pumpkin & Kumera Soup
- Passionfruit Slice
- Sandwhich Bread
- Gluten free sandwich bread
- Chorizo Fettucini with Spinach, Parmesan & Lemon Herb Butter
- Strawberry jelly slice
- Birria Tacos - TikTok Tacos
- Chelsea Winter Morrocan Chicken and Apricot Salad
- Anzac Biccies
- Cheats High Protein Nacho’s