- 2 tbsp green cardamon pods
- 1½ tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 4 tbsp Ground Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon Powder
- 3/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chai Masala
- 2 tsp Black Tea Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence or extract, (optional)
- 2 to 4 tsp sugar, (to taste) or 1/2 this amount of Natvia or another Stevia/Erythritol natural sweetener
- 250 g water
- 250 g Milk, (can be a non-dairy milk)
- OR INSTEAD OF MILK
- 250 g water, (additional)
- 35 g milk powder, full cream or skim
- Chai Masala is the name for a mixture of spices used in Indian households. Chai is the Hindi word for tea, while Masala is the Hindi word for spice. This mixture of spices is simmered (brewed) together with tea leaves, sugar, milk and water to make a spiced tea drink. The spiced tea drink is enjoyed throughout India, and is also taken medicinally by young and old to fight colds and sore throats.
The spice mixture known as Chai Masala can also be used in baking as a nice addition to spiced cakes such as carrot cake, tea cakes and fruit cakes.
THIS IS A TRADITIONAL CHAI MASALA RECIPE.
For western taste-buds the amount of black pepper has been halved.
(1) Place all the spices in the TM bowl.
Grind 1 min / speed 10.
(2) Store ground and mixed spices in air-tight jar in a dark cupboard.
- Chai Tea is not traditionally made with vanilla. The vanilla, however, is a nice addition and it also mellows the tea for western taste-buds. We drink this chai tea every day in our household, and we always include the vanilla.
(1) Place all ingredients in TM bowl (except milk powder if using). Brew tea 9 min / 80 degrees / speed "Gentle stir setting" .
(2) Only if using milk powder: add milk powder to TM bowl
and mix 2 sec / speed 4.
(3) Pour the tea through a strainer into your mugs.
(Straining is necessary to remove the tea leaves.)
(4) Serve immediately. Enjoy your tea!
TIP: DO NOT DRAIN YOUR CUP.
The spices are at the bottom.
Chai Masala (use ¼ tsp per mug of tea)
Chai Tea (2 mugs)
Accessories you need
Also suitable for TM5.
Chai Tea can also be made with Rooibos for a caffeine free alternative. Substitute 1 tsp of Rooibos for each 1 tsp of Black Tea.
Times to brew varying amounts of Chai Tea are as follows:
1 mug - 250g liquid - 7½ min
2 mugs - 500g liquid - 9 min (as per recipe)
3 mugs - 750g liquid - 11 min
4 mugs - 1000g liquid - 13 min
5 mugs - 1250g liquid - 15 min
6 mugs - 1500g liquid - 17 min
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Toblerone Cocktail
- Lemon Cordial
- Passionfruit mojito
- Paleo Spiced Almond and Date Hot Chocolate (Vegan, GF)
- Lychee Apple Dream Cocktail
- Fiona’s Iced Coffee
- Pineapple and Coconut Daiquiri
- Wholefood Cacao / Hot Chocolate
- Heavenly BoozyBunny Easter Chocolate Cocktail
- Purple smoothie
- Best Quality Life Grapes-Clove healing
- Tim Tam Milkshake
- Chai Masala Tea Cake
- Chilli con Carne de Aves (Turkey or Chicken)
- Frangipani ( Almond ) Tart with Cherries
- Apple - A - Day Cake
- Satay Sauce with Quorn Chicken-Style Fillets &/or Vegetables
- Quorn Meat-Style Balls with Tomato Sauce [Suitable for 5:2]
- Spiced Dahl with Spinach [suitable for 5:2]
- Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne (with optional Cauliflower Rice) [suitable for 5:2]
- Easiest Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Evaporated Milk
- Easiest Butter in the Thermomix
- Chocolate Custard (Pudding)
- Torcetti al burro
- Gluten free lemon meringue pie
- Orange drizzle cake
- Dans Cinnamon Scrolls
- Apple & Walnut Muffins - Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Cheesecake (with dairy free option)
- Pork Pot Stickers
- Butterscotch Self-Saucing Pudding - RPAH/Failsafe Friendly
- Anzac Slice - Failsafe/RPAH Friendly
- Soft bread rolls (Bosnian Kifle)
- Hainanese Chicken