- 230 g eschalots
- 130 g garlic cloves
- 50 g fresh galangal, peeled
- 60 g cm fresh ginger, peeled
- 100 g candlenuts
- 120 g fresh turmeric, peeled
- 50 g bird’s eye chilies, deseeded
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, white part only, roughly chopped
- 50 gram palm sugar
- 90 g coconut oil
- 3/4 tbsp salt
- 150 g water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 160 g spice paste (see above)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, bruised
- 24 large tiger prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, adjust to taste
- 100 g water
- 1 tbsp TM chicken stock concentrate (see general tips)
- 200 g coconut cream (see general tips)
- cooked rice, to serve (see general tips)
- fried shallots, to garnish
- fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
Place eschalots, garlic, galangal, ginger, candlenuts, turmeric, chillies and lemongrass into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add coconut oil and sauté 25 min/90°C//speed 2 with MC removed and TM basket on mixing bowl lid. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add palm sugar and cook 5 min/100°C//speed 2.
Add water and puree 15 sec/speed 10, gradually increasing from speed 1 to speed 10. Scrape down sides of bowl, then puree for a further 15 sec/speed 10, again gradually increasing from speed 1 to speed 10. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Cook 20 min/100°C/speed 2.5 with MC removed and TM basket on mixing bowl lid.
The mixture will darken to a light golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature. Reserve enough paste for the curry and store the rest for later use.
Place oil and spice paste into mixing bowl and sauté 3 min/100°C/speed 1.
Add lemongrass, prawns and pepper and sauté 2 min/100°C//speed 1.
Add water and chicken stock concentrate and bring to the boil 3 min/100°C//speed 1, with MC removed and TM basket on mixing bowl lid. Remove prawns and set aside in a ThermoServer to keep warm.
Add coconut cream to sauce in mixing bowl and bring to the boil 3 min/100°C/speed 1, with MC removed and TM basket on mixing bowl lid, then simmer 5-10 min/90°C/speed 1, with MC removed and TM basket on mixing bowl lid.
Pour finished sauce over prawns in ThermoServer and remove lemongrass.
Serve on a bed of cooked rice garnished with fried shallots and fresh coriander leaves.
See Recipe Community for the Coconut Cream recipe by Russell Blaikie. See the Everyday Cookbook for Cooked rice and TM chicken stock concentrate. TM chicken stock concentrate and water can be replaced with 100g of liquid chicken stock.
This makes quite a hot curry. Halve the quantity of bird's eye chillies if you prefer a milder heat to your curry. Freeze any leftover curry paste in a snap lock sandwich bags or an ice cube tray for up to three months. Substitute the prawns with about 700g skinless chicken thigh, cut into 2cm cubes. Saute the chicken as per the prawns in the recipe above, leave chicken in the mixing bowl while you add the liquids and cook over a low heat until sauce thickens. This should take about 30-40 minutes.
Russell uses Thermomix in all master classes at Must Winebar. To view the latest events visit: //www.must.com.au/whats-on.html
Other users also liked...
- Chilli Mussels
- Coconut Rice with Salmon and veggies ALL IN ONE
- Salmon and couscous salad with lemon dressing
- Tuna and Ricotta Balls
- Steamed Sea bass in galangal, lemongrass & turmeric, wrapped in banana leaf & served with green mango salad - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Mums Tuna Mornay
- Variation Chilli, Garlic Tomato Prawns
- Curried tuna
- Creamy Garlic Prawn Linguine (w Low Carb, Dairy Free, Vegetarian Variations)
- Creamy Garlic Prawn
- My Mother's Seafood Chowder
- Ginger Lime Prawns - HCG P2 4Phase
- Sesame and Linseed Gluten free bread
- Fast 800 Smoked Salmon Omelette conversion by Thermo-lish
- Meatloaf with Honey Mustard Glaze
- Walnut and coffee cheesecake slice
- Chocolate zucchini cake
- Curried pumpkin & cauliflower soup
- VEGAN Cranberry & Vanilla Protein Balls
- Chwee Kueh (Steamed Rice Cake)
- Homemade Ricotta Herb Dip
- Healthy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Blondies
- Superhealthy Kids' Double Chocolate Banana Cake
- Bavarian Spice Rub - Best Chicken Rub Ever!