- 750 g Plain Flour.
- 4 Eggs.
- 1 tsp Sea salt, fine
- 230 g iced water, or put some ice into room temp water
- 0.5 tsp olive oil
- 100 g Barley grain
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1 zuccinni, medium size
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stick Celery, roughly chopped
- 1 brown onion, medium size
- 125 g green beans, topped and tailed and roughly chopped
- 30 g olive oil
- 0.25 tsp celery seed, optional
- 2 tsp Sea salt, fine, or to taste - you can add at the end
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 500 g Rice Bran Oil, for frying in a separate saucepan
Add 1 Litre of water to the TM bowl and place barley in basket. Cook on 30mins/Varoma/speed2 MC off set aside
Add flour, salt and eggs into the TM bowl and mix 10sec/sp 6 or until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
Add water and knead 1 min or until very smooth.
Wrap in Thermomat or place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel and set aside to rest for 30 mins.
Add carrot, zuccinni, celery, onion and beans to TM bowl and chop 4sec/speed 7.
Saute 5mins/Varoma/speed 1
Add chicken mince and mix in with spatula.
Cook 10mins/100deg//speed 1
Mix in barley with the spatula.
Divide pastry into two parts.
With each portion roll on a lightly floured board into a rectangle until 2-3mm thick and about 25cmx15cm.
Cut into quarters (strips about 5cm wide) them place mixture along the long side of the strip leaving a 2cm gap at each end. Fold the short edges over the mixture meeting in the middle then roll the long sides up and pinch closed.
You cannot fry in the Thermomix so this step is over to a heavy based saucepan on the stovetop or the deep fryer.
Heat 500ml Rice Bran oil in a large, heavy-based pan (about 25-40cm wide and at least 10cm high) to reach 170 degrees celcius.
To test oil a small square of dry bread should turn golden brown in 30seconds when fried.
Cook rolls in batches of 2 or 3 so they don't stick together.
Turn regularly in the oil, letting the side with thicker pastry cook longer, about 5mins all up.
Transfer to a plate with paper towel to absorb the oil.
Describe the preparation steps of your recipe
Rolling Filling into Pastry
This could be made into a vegetarian dish by adding more veggies and leaving out the mince.
The original recipe is from River Cottage and uses lamb - here is the link to the recipe this was converted from //www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/22437/pauls-cheeky-roll (thanks Paul!)
You can freeze by wrapping your rolls in baking paper and storing in snaplock bags in the freezer. To cook defrost completely in fridge and deep fry.
To make this a quick lunch or dinner you could prepare the filling in advance and freeze then all you need do on the day is make the pastry, roll and fry
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Thai chicken cakes with satay sauce and pickled cucumber drizzle
- Satay Chicken
- Portuguese Pea stew - Ervilhas com ovos escalfados
- Variation Chicken, Bacon, Pumpkin & Spinach Risotto
- Quick Quiche Boats
- Chunky Spaghetti Bolognese
- Chicken and veggie potato bake
- Beef fajitas
- Pasta-less Lasagne
- Chicken and Yoghurt Curry (Dahi Murgh)
- Poached Chicken in Lemongrass Broth
- Lemon and Garlic Yoghurt Chicken
- Green Tomato Chutney
- Musk Sticks
- Roast Veggie (leftovers) Soup
- Yorkshire Pudding
- Army Green 'Wake Me Up' Smoothie
- Curried (leftover) sausages with rice and veggies
- Camembert Rolls
- Chestnutella (Chestnut chocolate spread)
- Chocolate and Chestnut Cake
- Sweet Chestnut Puree
- Egg & Dairy Free Choc Muffins
- Peach and Almond Crumble
- Variation Zucchini Slice gluten free
- Vegan Smokey split pea and ham soup adapted from Catching Seeds
- Vegan clone Kaffir Lime Curry
- Healthy Carrot Cake Biscuits - Dairy Free
- Variation Chicken & Leek Filling
- Beef curry pies (Pie-maker)
- Variation Chilli, Garlic Tomato Prawns
- Best Ever Carrot Cake - Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free
- Nut free “orange” bliss balls
- Vegetarian/Chicken Lettuce Cups
- Japanese Katsu chicken curry
- Brown Rice and Chicken Salad with Asian style dressing