- 1 lean silverside, 1 - 2 kgs - to fit comfortably in Varoma Dish
- 1 - 2 onions, whole
- 1 onion, Halved
- 1 stick Celery, Roughly chopped
- 1 Large carrot, Roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Vinegar (malt or white)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves, Optional
- to taste whole cloves, Optional
- to taste Whole Peppercorns, Optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vegetable Stock Paste (BCB)
- 1500 g hot water
- parsley stalks
- 400 g Reserved cooking liquid, Strained
- 50 g Butter or Margarine
- 40 g plain flour
- 100 g Milk or cream, Optional
- 1-2 tbsp mustard, I tend to only use 1-2tsp, add to taste
- 3-4 potatoes, Quartered
- 1 sweet potato, Chunks
- pumpkin, Chunks
- Other vegetables of your choice, Broccoli, capsicum, cauliflower, beans etc
8Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
Place onion, carrot, celery, into Thermomix bowl and chop for 3sec/sp5
add bayleaf, brown sugar, vinegar, peppercorns, cloves and parsley stalks, veg stock concentrate and water into Thermomix bowl
place lid into position
Rinse piece of silverside well , under cold water -
Place silverside into varoma dish. Ensure that there is plenty of room around the sides to allow the steam to come through the holdes in the Varoma tray. Please be aware that the meat will swell as it cooks.
I use a few egg rings under the silverside to lift.
Add onion to varoma.
cook - 90min/Varoma/sp2
NOTE - Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your silverside . General rule of thumb is to cook for 30 minutes per 500 grams.
I usually cook a piece approx 1.5kg
After the 90 minutes is up - check water levels. There must be at least 500g water per half hour of steaming time to come. Check that there is still plenty of room for the steam to escape through the holes in the Varoma tray.
Reset Varoma temperature and add extra time as required by the weight of your silverside Sp2.
OPTIONAL- add an extra 20 - 30 minutes on varoma temperature -speed 2. I find adding this extra time helps make the silverside very tender. (I usually skip this option)
Add your prepared vegetables of choice to the varoma dish - placing around silverside (harder vegeatbles at the bottom)
Top up water in bowl if neccesary.
Once vegetables are cooked - set aside in thermoserver to keep warm
Wrap meat in alfoil to keep extra hot.
Strain the liquid from the thermomix bowl, discarding solids and reserving liquid.
Place strained cooking liquid, milk, butter(softened), flour and mustard into mixing bowl and cook 12min/100deg/sp3
Slice silverside and serve with Vegetables and sauce
Cooking your Silverside
Cooking your Sauce
As stated at the side, this is a TM5 variation only of Tanya Brennan's amazing corn silverside recipe. It is simply using the extended cook times that are available on the tm5. Please refer to her recipe for extra hints and tips and leave your comments there. //www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/silverside-varoma/108131
We love silverside done in the varoma - so much easier than on the stove - as i could never get the heat to be gentle enough.
Our meat is always lovely and tender - but it will depend on your silverside itself.
we either purchase from a reputable local butcher - or have also found the lean Silversides from Coles to be very good also
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Cheats kousa
- Chicken and Leek Risotto
- Mum's chicken stuffing
- Meatballs with Sauce & Veggie Noodles
- Slow Cooked Curried Mince
- Beef Rendang (Indonesian Beef, Chilli And Coconut Dry Curry)
- The best beef burger patties-Gluten free
- Sous vide fillet of beef with mushroom custard (TM6 only) - Chef Mark Southon
- CHICKEN AND PRAWN LAKSA
- Variation To "My Savoury Mince"
- Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne (using whole beef)
- Lebanese Kafta
- Bavarian Spice Rub - Best Chicken Rub Ever!
- Mac 'n' Cheese (with hidden veg)
- Spaghetti Bolognese Hidden vegetables
- Cheats kousa
- Manaya's chicken noodle soup
- Simple Sardine Dip
- Tomato & Chilli Chutney
- Mum's chicken stuffing
- Taco seasoning
- Dianne sauce
- 2 in 1 chicken corn soup and baby food
- BBQ Pork Ramen