- 2 artichokes, whole and raw
- 1000 g water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 15 g red wine vinegar
- 45 g olive oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch sea salt
- several turns of freshly ground black pepper
Cut off all but about 2 inches/5 cm of the stalks and place the artichokes in the Varoma dish. Weigh the water into your TM bowl, add the salt, and close and lock the TM lid. Set the Varoma on top, put the Varoma lid on and steam your artichokes for 1 hour/Varoma setting/Speed 2 ½. See Madame Thermomix’s Top Tip below for steaming other foods at the same time.
At the end of the cooking time, carefully remove the lid of the Varoma and turn it upside down on your worktop. Watch out for hot steam! Place the Varoma itself on top of the upturned lid and let your artichokes cool while you make your vinaigrette.
Empty out your TM bowl and add the vinaigrette ingredients, making sure to place them to the side of the blade rather than on top of it. Mix 5 seconds/Speed 4 or until thoroughly mixed, scraping the sides of the TM bowl with the spatula. Divide between two small dipping bowls. Serve the artichokes warm or cooled, accompanied by your tasty vinaigrette. Plan on plenty of napkins to wipe your fingers
Steam the artichokes in your Varoma
Make the vinaigrette
Accessories you need
Start with really fresh artichokes from your local market or supermarket, and finish with your choice of dipping sauce. Vinaigrette is a classic, and so are hollandaise and just plain melted butter. I prefer the acidic touch of the vinaigrette, which enhances the flavour of the artichoke. Use your favourite vinaigrette recipe or try the one below.
Madame Thermomix’s Top Tips:
- Don’t forget that while you’re steaming the artichokes in the Varoma you can also steam something else in the simmering basket. I cooked some gorgeous fresh peas for our main course during the last 10 minutes of steaming and kept them warm in the basket in the closed bowl while we ate our prickly friends. You could also steam some rice during the last 15 minutes and get ahead for your chosen main course. What a great way to save time and use electricity as efficiently as possible!
- The TM31 Varoma just holds two large artichokes and the slightly larger TM5 Varoma should hold them with ease. How many artichokes were you able to fit into your TM5 Varoma?
See this recipe and more on //www.whyisthereair.com/
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Variation Vegetarian nachos
- Variation Mexican beans
- Baked beans alkalise cleanse friendly
- ZUCCHINI AND CARROT FRITTERS – EGG FREE
- Khichari / Kachari / Kacaharee / Kachari / Kchree /
- Janine's Spicy Popcorn Cauliflower - Thermie and Friends
- Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake)
- Zucchini and Haloumi Frittera with Yoghurt and Salsa
- Vegetable stew with peanut butter
- SEHAM’S FATTEH
- Iranian Eggplant and Chickpea Stew
- Quorn Chicken Style and Mushroom Stroganoff
- Mom’s Chili Con Carne, Thermomix style
- Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegetarian Coconut Milk Wraps with Sweet Chilli and Lime Dipping Sauce
- Mexican Chicken All-in-One Varoma Meal
- Green Tomato Chutney
- Marion’s Fabulous Scones
- Cauliflower Couscous (Tabouleh)
- Coffee Walnut Cake
- Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Gluten Free and Grain Free)
- Low Fat All-in-One Varoma Chicken Supper
- Madame Thermomix’s Spicy Crab Tempura
- Bernie Brennan’s Almond and Seed Crackers
- Patricia Wells’ Black Olive Tapenade
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Eggless Cupcakes - Failsafe/RPAH Friendly
- Flaky pastry sausage rolls
- Could it be Gravy - Failsafe/RPAH Friendly
- Steamed South Pacific Fish
- Gluten Free Wonton/ Dumpling Wrappers
- Gluten free lemon meringue pie
- Dans Cinnamon Scrolls
- Butterscotch Self-Saucing Pudding - RPAH/Failsafe Friendly
- Hainanese Chicken
- Pan Amasado - Chilean Bread Rolls