- 1kg mixed dried fruit, Choose your favourites
- 80mls Rum
- 250g Butter, chopped and softened
- 340g brown sugar
- 2tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- 2tbsp raspberry jam
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 2tsp mixed spice
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp Nutmeg
- 125g slivered almonds, optional
3h 20minPreparation 1h 0minBaking/Cooking
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
Combine all dried fruits in a large, airtight container and mix with rum. Stand for minimum one hour but I prefer anywhere up to 4 weeks, stirring every couple of days.
I use a combination of dried pineapple, cranberries, sultanas, dates, cherries and the standard "mixed fruit" - alternatively my last one was made using up whatever dried fruit I had on hand.
1. Melt the chocolate using your preferred method (I microwave as its quick and easy)
2. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Grease and line base/sides of your chosen tin(s). Recipe will make one 23cm round cake, or one round 20cm cake and a smaller cake using clean 400g soup can (this is a really great size for gifts.
3. Add butter to TMX and beat on speed 6 for 10 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat.
4. Add sugar and vanilla and beat on speed 6 for 20 seconds, Scrape sides and then speed 6 for 10 seconds.
5. Add one egg plus a tablespoon of flour at a time mixing on speed 5 for 5 seconds each time.
6. Add jam and put TMX to speed 5, adding melted chocolate through the hole in the lid - should take about 20 seconds.
7. Add flour and spices then mix on speed 5 for 10 - 15 seconds. Scrape sides and then repeat.
8. In a large bowl add the creamed mixture to the fruit mixture and sprinkle in almonds if using. Mix gently but thoroughly and then put into prepared tins.
As suggested, mixture will fill one 23cm round tin OR two 20cm round tins. Ensure that you fill the tins approximately 3/4 full - as it is plain flour it doesn't rise.
Cake is cooked when a skewer comes out clean. 23cm tin takes 2 hours, 20 minutes. 20cm tins take 2 hours. 400g tins take around 1 hour. Do not overbake and if top of cake is getting too dark, cover with foil.
When you remove the cake from the oven, wrap in a clean teatowel and leave overnight on rack to cool. If storing, wrap in foil, then glad wrap and store in cool, dark place.
Cake also tastes amazing served with hot vanilla custard.
Preparation - Fruit (up to 4 weeks prior)
Accessories you need
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.