- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 90 g cornflour (see Tips)
- 150 g raw sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp hot water
Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease 2 x 15cm cake tins and set aside.
Place bicarb, cream of tartar and cornflour into mixing bow and mix 10 sec/speed 5. Set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
Place sugar into mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 9. Set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
Insert butterfly. Place egg whites into mixing bowl and beat with MC off 2-4 min/speed 3 or until stiff.
With Butterfly rotating on speed 3, add milled sugar one teaspoon at a time until incorporated. (Don't rush this process; it will take appox. 4-5 minutes.)
With Butterfuly rotating on , add yolks one at a time.
Add vanilla, water and cornflour mixture and mix 5 sec/speed 1. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and mix 2-3 sec/speed 1 or until fully combined.
Divide mixture between two tins. Bake for 35-40 min until a skewer comes out clean.
Accessories you need
If gluten free is not a problem, the cornflour can be substituted with plain flour.
To serve, leave the sponges to cook, then sandwich them with whipped cream and decorate the top with fresh fruit.
This recipe is contributed by Maree Johnstone, customer TAS and is featured in Devil of a Cookbook.
To purchase this book visit our online store:
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Autumn Pear cake
- Golden syrup spice cookies
- Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- Gluten, Dairy, Soy and Egg FREE Caramel Slice
- Variation Limes puff
- Banana Cake (Women's Weekly Recipe)
- Dotty's Melting moments with Maple buttercream
- Apple & Carrot Microwave Cake
- Milky Bar Cheesecake
- LCM Bars
- Tiny Teddies- Honey
- Pinch of Yum Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Spiced chocolate doughnuts - Louise Keats
- Steamed Sea bass in galangal, lemongrass & turmeric, wrapped in banana leaf & served with green mango salad - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Black sticky rice with taro & blue matcha ice cream - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Cauliflower tacos with chipotle sauce
- Soba noodle mee goreng
- Feijoa Bakewell tart
- Little piggy faces
- Orange sesame chicken with broccoli and noodles
- Pizza pockets
- Sticky buns with brown sugar glaze
- Bacon and cinnamon scrolls with salted maple glaze
- Strawberry and watermelon cake with vanilla cream (recipe by Nico Moretti)