- 325 grams Milk
- 1 sachet dry yeast
- 50 grams Butter
- 20 gram vegetable oil
- 50 grams sugar
- 1 egg
- 600 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 egg
- poppy seeds for sprinkling
2h 0minPreparation 1h 40minBaking/Cooking
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
1. Place milk, yeast, butter, sugar and oil into mixing bowl and heat 3 min/ 370 C/speed 2
2. Add egg and mix 3 sec/speed 4
3. Add flour, salt and fennel seeds. Knead 5 mins/ .
The dough maybe slightly sticky. You can leave the dough to prove in the mixing bowl or place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover . Leave to prove in a warm place (approx. 1 hour /until its doubled in size)
5. Line 2 spring form tins or a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 108oC.
7. Knock down dough - If you have left to prove in Thermomix bowl, knead 30 sec/ to knock down.
8. Transfer dough to ThermoMat or lightly floured work surface. Divide dough in half and form a long rope.
Cut into 7 equal size balls. Shape into round rolls and place in prepared tin by placing one ball in the centre and the rest around it to create a daisy (see photo)
9. Continue the same with the rest of the dough.
10. Brush lightly with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Allow to prove for another 30 minutes in tin
11. Bake at 1800C for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Best served hot with butter & cheese or a good curry
Durban Naan Bread is a soft, baked bread roll -lightly spiced with fennel seeds then topped with poppy seeds. This uniquely Durban (South Africa) treat, from Indian heritage, should not be confused with the naan flat bread.
Use chia/ sesame seeds as alternative to poppy seeds
Easily halve the recipe, keep yeast quantity the same, for 1 batch of 7 rolls
Prepare ahead and leave in tin - pop into oven 20 mins before serving
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Savoury Mini Muffins
- Zopf (Swiss Milk Bread)
- Apple-Cinnamon Choc Chip Muffin
- Easy peasy iced custard tarts
- FISH FILLETS 'ALLO STILE GENNARO CONTALDO'
- PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE CAKE/CUPCAKE
- TURKEY & ZUCCHINI BURGERS WITH SUMAC
- Gin & Tonic Sorbet
- Creamy Fruit Cake
- Passionfruit and coconut cake
- Variation Clone of World's Greatest Banana Cake - quick wholemeal version
- Thai Fish Cakes (Tod mun pla)