- 3 eggs
- 265 grams brown sugar
- 1000 grams Dried Mixed Fruit
- 2 Packets Glacé Cherries
- 1 Packet of Walnuts
- 320 grams cream
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 495 grams plain flour
- 150 grams Bundaberg rum
28h 0minPreparation 24h 0minBaking/Cooking
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
1) Soak Dried Mixed Fruit, Glace Cherries in Bundaberg rum overnight. (you can opt to not add any rum)
2) Add eggs & Brown sugar to bowl - 20 sec on Sp 4.
3) Add cream & bi-carb of soda - 3 min on Sp 4.
4) Add Nutmeg, vanilla essenc, soaked fruit mix and walnuts - 1 min on Sp 3, using spatula to assist with mixing.
5) Add 330 grams of the flour - 30 sec on Sp 4, using spatula to assist with mixing.
6) Add remaining flour - 30 sec on Sp 4, using spatula to assist with mixing.
7) Ensure all ingredients are mixed adequately.
First you will need approx 1 metre of unbleached calico.
For the first time you use the calico, you will need to boil it for a few minutes.
Each time you use it after that, you only need to dunk the calico in boiling water after that.
Using a very large deep pot (approximately 8 litres) fill 3/4 with water and bring to the boil. #Best to do this step prior to starting mixing all the ingredients#
Flour the cloth after dunking it in boiling water, make sure the entire area that will have pudding on it is coated but don't make it too thick or you will have flour lumps on the pudding when you are finished.
Spoon the mixture onto the floured surface, bundle up edges of the cloth and tie firmly (use a piece of string or a strip of calico). Put a spoonful of flour in the top where there is a hole to plug it up.
Slowly and carefully (do not burn yourself with the water, holding the tail of the calico) dunk the pudding in the boiling water a few times then let it sit in the pot with the lid on, have the water continuously boiling for 4 hours. You may need to top up the water from time to time with boiled water from the kettle, as it is essential that the pudding doesn't touch the bottom of the pot.
Let the pudding hang to dry for 12-24 hours. I do this by tying the tail to a clothes airer.
Traditionally to take the pudding out of the bag using the same large pot fill 3/4 with water, bringing it to the boil and again being careful slowly lower into the pot - let boil for 30 mins then remove and place on tea towel after 10 minutes remove string and gently peel the calico off leaving the pudding.
Serve with custard, ice cream or on its own.
Preparing the pudding
Accessories you need
This can be frozen
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Rima’s Lebanese pistachio ice cream
- cocoa - energy balls (vegan&raw)
- Hazelnut and Amaranth Chocolate
- Variation Choc Peppermint Balls
- Choc Peanut Butter Bliss Balls
- Honey and Rosemary Upside Down Fig Cake
- Choc Protein Balls
- Coffee whip (dairy free, egg free, vegan)
- Quick Vanilla & Citrus Protein Bliss Balls
- Variation pineapple and mango soft serve
- French Apple Tart with Pastry Cream
- Gin & Tonic Sorbet
- Honey cheese bread
- Broccoli and Kale Soup
- Fluffy scones
- Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies (cheat's version)
- Cherry & Apple Meringue Tart
- Cheesecake Brownies (cheat's version)
- Rima’s Lebanese pistachio ice cream
- Roast Pumpkin, Garlic & Corn soup with Caramelised Onion
- Philadelphia cheese
- Creamy tomato eggplant pasta with chorizo
- Playdough (Double Batch)
- Breakfast Chaffles