THERMOMIX ® RECIPE
- 250 g raw almonds
- 1 l water
- zest of ½ orange
- 130 g raw sugar
- 200 g water
- 50 g freshly squeezed orange juice, (about 1 orange)
- 450 g rhubarb, peeled, trimmed and cut into 6cm long strips
- 520 g pouring (whipping) cream
- 520 g Almond milk, (see above)
- ½ vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped
- 180 g Rainfed rice® or Arborio, (see tips)
- 2 tbsp raw sugar, or sweetener of choice, to taste
- poached rhubarb (see above), to serve
- Almond meal (see above), to serve
Place almonds and water into a bowl to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
Drain almonds and retain the soak water.
- Place almonds and 500g of the soak water into mixing bowl and blend 2 min/speed 7. Check the consistency of your almond milk. Add remaining soak water if your almond milk is more of a purée, then continue to blend for a further 2 min/speed 7 until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Line a sieve with a kitchen cloth (i.e. Chux® cloth) or nut milk bag and place over a large bowl. Pour almond milk into the cloth and press the milk firmly through using the spatula (see tips). Once the visible liquid has drained, gather the corners of the cloth and twist to release any remaining milk. Set almond milk aside and reserve almond meal.
- Spread almond meal out onto a baking tray and place into an 80-100°C oven to dry out for six to eight hours or overnight. Once almond meal is dried but not baked, set aside until serving.
- Place zest and sugar into a clean, dry mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 9. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add water and orange juice and cook 6 min/Varoma/speed 1, with MC removed and TM basket on mixing bowl lid.
- Add rhubarb and cook for a further 6-7 min/100°C/Reverse/speed soft, or until just cooked.
- Set aside in a ThermoServer to stay warm until ready to serve. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place cream, almond milk and vanilla seeds into mixing bowl and cook 8 min/90°C/speed 2.
- Add rice and cook 20 min/90°C/speed 2 (see tips). The pudding should be silky and the rice should be cooked. If necessary, cook for a further 10 min/90°C/speed 2.
- Add sugar or sweetener of choice and blend 30 sec-1 min/speed 4, or until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Place rice pudding into the centre of your serving plates or dishes. Spoon rhubarb pieces and syrup over the top, sprinkle with reserved almond meal and drizzle with rose water.
- Serve straight away, or allow to cool completely before refrigerating for up to three days. This pudding can also be enjoyed cold.
Be firm when pushing the almond milk through the cloth as you will need to release the oil from the almonds to get the right consistency and flavour. The more time you spend doing this the more almond milk you will end up with. Almond milk will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week and freezes well, so you can prepare this part of the recipe well in advance. Any leftover almond milk can be used as a substitute to milk in drinks or poured over cereal. The cream in this dish can be replaced with additional almond milk to make the entire dish gluten and dairy free. Cooking time will vary according to the type of rice used. The rice used in this recipe is Rainfed rice®, handpicked brown rice grown in the Byron Bay area. This rice has a particularly hard husk and so the cooking time is longer and the Reverse function is not used during cooking. Cooking on speed 2 releases the starch, allowing the pudding to thicken without becoming too stodgy. If you are using Arborio rice or another common short grain variety we recommend reducing the quantity to 150g and using the Reverse function whilst cooking to prevent the rice from breaking down. You may also need to add a little more almond milk (about 50g) in step 11 to achieve the desired consistency. Use any remaining almond meal as a great gluten free alternative to flour while baking. Poached quinces or plums can be used in place of the rhubarb. Click here to view a video of the recipe//www.thermomix.com.au/what-is-thermomix/videos.aspx
Other users also liked...
- Rima’s Lebanese pistachio ice cream
- cocoa - energy balls (vegan&raw)
- Hazelnut and Amaranth Chocolate
- Variation Choc Peppermint Balls
- Choc Peanut Butter Bliss Balls
- Honey and Rosemary Upside Down Fig Cake
- Choc Protein Balls
- Coffee whip (dairy free, egg free, vegan)
- Quick Vanilla & Citrus Protein Bliss Balls
- Variation pineapple and mango soft serve
- French Apple Tart with Pastry Cream
- Gin & Tonic Sorbet