- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- filtered water, for soaking
- 1.25 litres filtered water, for blending
Soak the almonds in a glass or ceramic bowl for 24 hours with the salt and enough filtered water to cover the almonds by 3-4cm. If you remember, change the soak water after 12 or so hours.
Drain and rinse the soaked almonds well. Place with 1.25 Litres of fresh filtered water in TM bowl with the soaked almonds and blend on speed 9 for 90 seconds.
Strain mixture thorugh a nut milk bag or fine straining cloth. Gently massage the mixture to help seperate the milk from the remaining fibre. Don't squeeze your bag too hard or you may burst the seams and squash fibre through.
Store milk in glass jars in your fridge and use within 3 days. You can make the milk richer by soaking more almonds to the same amount of water, but it can get expensive.
Soaking helps to deactivate substances that are stopping the nut/seed from growing, particularly protease inhibitors (protease is an enzyme that helps break down protein). Soaking also aids the removal of anti-nutrients like phytates that can interfere with mineral absorption; however phytates are more of an issue in grain foods.
When soaking grain foods for cooking, like rice and quinoa, the addition of an acidifier helps with the phytates such as whey or lemon juice. For nuts and seeds, the addition of salt to the soak water helps with the removal of the enzyme inhibitors. Eating nuts and seeds after they have been soaked is more kind to our digestion and improves nutrient availability.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Passion Mango "Boost Juice style smoothie"
- Dairy Free Breakfast Smoothie
- Pineapple and Lemon Slushy
- Perfect Chai Latte Mix by Thermosmitten
- Hot Chocolate with Froth
- Blueberry Swirl Smoothie
- Matcha Tea (“Traditional” - TM6 Style)
- Green Cleansing Smoothie
- Hidden Goodness Açai Smoothie
- Kahlúa frappe
- Fab Fruit Juice
- Keto Vanilla Breakfast Smoothie
- Peach melba Smoothie
- Jaffa Mud Cake
- Gluten Free Polish Plum (or peach) cake
- Gluten Free ANZAC biscuits
- Diddlee Dee Green Smoothie - for St Paddy's Day!
- Soft Butter for the Fridge
- Raw Choc Fudge
- The best gluten free banana pancakes
- Blueberry Bombshell Smoothie
- Coconut and cashew cream
- Vegetarian Kedgeree
- Banana bread with dates and walnuts - dairy and gluten free