- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika, (or mild paprika)
- 2 long red chillies, roughly chopped and stalks removed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 30 g fresh ginger, (6cm) peeled and roughly chopped
- 10 g Fresh Turmeric, (2cm) peeled and roughly chopped (or 1/2 tablespoon dried turmeric)
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar, (or vinegar of your choice)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 quantity madras curry paste, (recipe above)
- 70 g tomato paste
- 400 g Tinned Diced Tomatoes
- 700 g lamb or chicken stock, or 700g water and 1tbsp chicken stock paste
- 1.3 kg lamb shoulder, bone in
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste, lightly sprinkled (there will be salt remaining on the eggplant!!)
- 4 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 650 g eggplants, (1 inch diced)
- mint and coriander leaves to serve
- cucumber and mint raita to serve, (recipe below)
- salt, for eggplant
- 1/2 C mint leaves
- 280 g thick natural yoghurt, Greek-style
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Describe the preparation steps of your recipe
Add mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and peppercorns to clean, dry TM bowl and dry roast 5 mins/Varoma/speed 1. Mill 1 minute/speed 9.
Add paprika, chilli, garlic, ginger and turmeric and process 5 seconds/speed 7. Scrape down and repeat until a coarse paste forms. Add the vinegar and oil and process 5 seconds/speed 7. Scrape down and repeat until a smooth paste forms.
IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE to eggplant bitterness as others in my family are, please prepare the eggplant as follows. Otherwise, don't bother
A couple of hours before you're ready to cook, take your diced eggplant and spread out on a tray, cover generously with salt, tilt the tray up slighty, and let drain for a couple of hours. The salt will draw out the bitter juices of the eggplant.
Tip the eggplant into a colander and wash thoroughly to get all the salt off. When you're ready to add eggplant to the curry (halfway through the recipe), squeeze handfuls of the eggplant to get more of the juices out before adding it to the pot.
Preheat oven to 180˚C (160 fanforced). Place curry paste, tomato paste, tomatoes and stock in baking dish and stir to combine. Add the lamb, skin side down, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the curry leaves and cover with foil and/or tight fitting lid. Roast 2 hr 30 minutes. Increase the temperature to 200˚C (180 fanforced). Remove foil, turn the lamb, add the diced eggplant and roast for a further 30-40 minutes or until lamb is tender. If using pea eggplants, add these with 10 minutesto go and cook until tender. Note: I found my lamb was not tender but was drying out on top, so I turned down the oven to 120C (100 fanforced). I let it cook for another 1 hr 30 minutes, spooning juices over the meat occasionally. Until the meat was falling off the bone and the liquid had reduced to a desired consistency.
Top with mint and coriander leaves and serve with cucumber and mint raita.
Add mint leaves to clean, dry TM bowl and chop 3 seconds/speed 7. Add cucumber and chop for 1 second/speed 5 or until desired consistency. Add yoghurt and lime juice and mix 2 seconds//speed 3. Set aside in a serving dish.
Madras curry paste
Slow cooked lamb madras curry
Cucumber and mint raita
I'm going to try this again soon, and will come up with a more straight forward temperature & time. I'm guessing 130 degrees, for 5-6 hours?Will get onto it asap!!
There will be some salt remaining on the eggplant, so take note not to season the curry with extra salt until it has finished cooking, as the liquid will reduce and intensify!
Original recipe from Issue 69 Donna Hay Magazine. Adapted for Thermomix by Erica Noble, Independent Consultant. Adapted again by Jodi Hayward.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Meringue Cupcakes "skuimpies"
- Hunker Begendi
- Stuffed Capsicums with Tomato, Mince & Rice
- Creamy Bacon & Pesto Pasta Sauce
- Variation Healthy chocolate coconut slice
- CRUMBLE CAKE WITH CUSTARD AND FRUIT (STREUSELKUCHEN)
- Nut free Muesli Bars
- Sugar Cookie Dough
- Genovese pasta
- Cashew Milk (Mylk)
- Peanut butter
- Soph’s Pasta Sauce