- 750 grams Minced beef
- 1 egg
- 60 grams wholemeal breadcrumbs, (or one slice, equal to 1/2 cup) - or gluten free breadcrumbs if you are GF
- 30 grams seasoning mixture, (or 30g breadcrumbs mixed with 1/2 tsp dried onion flakes, 1/2 tsp dried sage &amp; 1/2 tsp dried parsley) - can be altered to GF also
- 1 heaped teaspoon salt
- 70 grams Milk, (or any dairy-free milk substitute)
- 5 grams Mixed Herbs
- 20 grams Evoo
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 medium-sized apples, cored, peeled, cut into quarters
- 650 grams water
- 20 grams Vegetable stock paste (EDC)
- 75 grams brown sugar
- 30 grams salt-reduced soy sauce
- 30 grams tomato sauce (ketchup), (or GF tomato sauce/ketchup)
- 30 grams cornflour, (or GF cornflour)
If you don't have pre-prepared breadcrumbs, take your slice of wholemeal bread and chop on turbo for 2 seconds (2 presses).
Add all remaining ingredients for meatballs, and mix 30 seconds, , speed 4, or until all combined. Use spatula to combine, mix speed 4 for 10 seconds more if not all combined.
Set aside, rinse bowl.
Place onion & apples into bowl. Chop 3 seconds speed 5. Add EVOO and saute for 2 minutes/100/speed 2.
Add all other sauce ingredients, cook 10 minutes/100/speed 2.
To cook meatballs:
Roll meat mixture into dessert-spoon-size balls. I like to sear mine in the pan, to brown them (as per the recipe picture), and once cooked, place into the thermoserver, pour over sauce and let sit for 10 minutes to develop flavours.
However, to cook the meatballs in the Varoma, and make this an all-in-one dish, follow the steps below:
While sauce is cooking for the 10 mins as per step above, shape meatballs and place in varoma tray and varoma bowl, leaving room in the varoma bowl for steam to come up to cook both layers of meatballs. Spacing of your meatballs is important for proper cooking.
Once the 10 mins is up on the step above, place varoma bowl and tray onto your TM bowl, cook 20 minutes/Varoma temp/speed 2 (this time depends on the size of your meatballs - see tip below).
Place meatballs into thermoserver, pour sauce over the top and leave to sit for 10 minutes. Serve with creamy mash, rice or pasta.
For kids, you can make teaspoon-size meatballs. This also means the meat mixture goes further, it may take less time to cook the meatballs, and each plate has generous serves of meatballs.
If the sauce is too salty, simply add some more brown sugar to your tastebuds liking!
If you find the sauce is too thin, add more cornflour before cooking the Varoma step. But i like that we can mop up the sauce with the rice/mash or some buttered bread rolls.
This is a conversion from a recipe by my Aunt that I grew up eating at family pot-luck birthday dinners. Always a hit.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Paleo: Phat Si Ew
- Monday Night (Beef or Lamb) Curry
- Italian Beef Ragu
- lchf chicken chirizo balls
- Curried Meatloves with BBQ Glaze Sauce
- 3 ways chicken fajitas
- Stuffed Burgers
- SWEET& SOUR PORK
- Zanzibar Coconut Chicken Curry
- Hainanese Chicken Rice
- Babi Guling - Balinese Roast Pork
- Beef Larb (Spicy Beef Salad)
- Variation Best Ever Scones
- Nanna's Tea Cake
- Sour Cream Cherry Slice
- Paleo: Phat Si Ew
- Chicken & Vegetable Pie
- Middle Eastern BBQ'd Pumpkin Bread
- Strawberry and watermelon cake with vanilla cream (recipe by Nico Moretti)
- Savoury Biscotti
- Alkalising GF/DF/EF/YF bread
- The Daily Mix - Christmas Spiced Shortbread
- Raw Choc Covered Christmas Pudds
- Swiss Roll Sponge