- 500 g small Brussels sprouts, trimmed with a cross cut into the stem base
- 4 potato, diced into 2cm cubes (you could use 2 or 3 potatoes)
- 500 g water
- 4 bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 30 g Butter
- 30 g plain flour
- 3 tsp mild mustard, (I like Dijon or Australian)
- 60 g reserved water from vegetables
- 200 g Milk
- 1 tsp veggie stock paste
- salt and pepper to taste
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
Add water to the TM bowl. Place the simmer basket inside the bowl and fill with diced potato. Close the TM lid. Place the Brussels sprouts in the base of the Varoma dish. Pop the Varoma lid on top and position the Varoma on top of the TM bowl and lid.
Cook the vegies for up to 25 minutes / Varoma temp / speed 2 checking your vegetables regularly to see when they are cooked. The sprouts are more likely to cook first which is why I pop them up in the Varoma and keep the potatoes in the basket. This way, when the sprouts are cooked, you can remove them and keep them warm in a ThermoServer until the potatoes are cooked.
Once the potatoes are properly cooked, add them to the ThermoServer with the sprouts and toss to combine.
Remember not to throw out the water!
While the vegies are steaming pan fry the bacon until crispy.
Sprinkle the chopped tomato and half the cooked bacon on top of the potato and sprouts. Pour the sauce all over and top with the balance of the bacon bits.
Serve with a steak, fish or chicken.
Add butter to the TM bowl and melt 2 min / 100° / speed 1.
Add flour and mustard and cook 3 min / 100° / speed 1.
Add reserved water, milk, vegie stock paste and cook 5 min / 90° / speed 4. Season to taste.
Pour over the vegetables and serve.
QUICK VERSION (which doesn't have as much flavour, but is faster)
Add all sauce ingredients into the TM bowl and cook for 6 mins / 90° / speed 4.
Season to taste.
Steam the Vegies
Making the Mustard Sauce
My daughter used to love this dish as a child, which used to amaze me because my own memories of Brussels sprouts as a child were awful. Mind you, back in the 80s our mums used to cook more with frozen vegies and boil the life out of them! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
When choosing Brussels Sprouts at the green grocer, select smaller ones as the taste becomes stronger and more bitter when they are bigger. Remove any scruffy looking outer leaves, trim the stem and cut a cross into the base of the stem (this allows for more even cooking throughout the sprout.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Mumbai Escort Recipe
- Variation Mealie Meal / Pap
- Chaffles diet doctor
- Aly's Leftovers Stack (Inspired by the Mexican Stack)
- Healthy Banana & Oat Protein Pancakes
- Batter (for Sweet and Sour/ Honey Sesame/ fish etc)
- Poached Eggs Cafe Style (TM5)
- Poached Eggs Cafe Style (TM6)
- Creamy chicken pasta / Mac
- Hannah's Pizza Dough
- Chap Chae (Korean Noodles)
- Masala Dosa
- Savoury Crackers
- Spicy Capsicum and Feta Zucchetti (spiralised Zucchini "spaghetti")
- Egg Drop Soup with Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Stock Paste
- Mulligatawny Soup (Curried Chicken and Rice Soup)
- Carola's Cauliflower Soup
- Gulab Jamun
- Spinach and Tuna Lasagne
- Mango & Pistachio Icecream Log
- Pita Bread Pockets
- Shoarma (Shawarma)
- Carola's Mayonnaise
- Pizza dough
- Warm leek and cashew dip
- Sugar Free Lemon Curd/Butter
- Blueberry Chia Puddings
- David's Dhall
- Adrian Richards Banana Bread
- Top Deck Caramel Crunch
- Fluffy Keto Cheesecake with Gin infused Lemon Curd
- Kefta and Potato Casserole with Lebanese Rice
- Family Chocolate Cake
- Zoe's Turkish Bread Pride, Pizza Base or Rolls
- Zoe's Mundella Greek Honey Yoghurt using the Crock Pot Express to Set