- 1kg corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and quartered
- 2 brown onions, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Place onion and capsicum into the TM bowl. Chop on speed 6 for three seconds.
2. Combine the corn kernels, onion, capsicum and salt in a bowl. Mix well to cover the vegetables with the salt. Place vegetables in a colander or strainer over a bowl and leave for 3 hours to drain. Discard the drained liquid.
3. Place the drained vegetables and all remaining ingredients except the cornflour and water into the TM bowl and cook 30 minutes, 100°, reverse, speed 4 with the measuring cup removed and the basket on top to stop splatters.
4. Make a slurry by mixing the cornflour and water until completely smooth. Add to the bowl and cook for 10 minutes, 100°, reverse, speed 4 with the measuring cup removed and the basket on top to stop splatters.
5. If a smoother texture is desired, blend for 2 seconds on speed 6. Do this, checking each time until desired consistency is achieved.
6. Place the mixture into clean hot jars, leaving 1-2.5cm head space, and turning lids to be just tight.
7. Place jars into a stockpot which has a facewasher or cake rack on the bottom to stop the jars from touching the base and is filled with hot water which covers the jars by at least 2.5cm. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 15 minutes.
8. Remove the jars from the water with a jar lifter (or very carefully with tongs) and leave to cool on a cooling rack for 24 hours.
9. Check that all lids have popped down. If not, reprocess the jars which did not pop.
10. Keep jars in pantry for up to 12 months. Once opened, keep refrigerated and use within 4 weeks.
This recipe makes 9 x 250ml jars. You can halve the recipe, reducing the cooking times to 25 minutes and 7 minutes.
To make a delicious corn relish dip, add one 250ml jar of corn relish to the TM bowl with a 250g block of cream cheese and 50g of milk. Blitz on Reverse, Speed 6 for 30 seconds, or until combined.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Beef and Guinness Stew
- My first veggies
- DinnerWinner Curry
- Variation Easy chicken kimchi
- Easy chicken kimchi
- Chicken, Bacon, Mushroom Fettuccine Carbonara
- Cherry Ripe Smoothie
- Gluten Free Yeast Free Egg Free Bread Rolls
- Wontons in Chilli Broth
- Black Bean Brownies - dairy and gluten free
- Clean Snickers Slice
- Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup