- 250 g buttermilk
- 500 g organic full-cream milk
- 250 g pouring (whipping) cream, min 30% fat
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 100 g freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 40 g chardonnay or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g tomato juice
- 200 g water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 30 small ripe mixed colour tomatoes
- 2 rockmelons, halved, deseeded
- 2 honeydew melons, halved, deseeded
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers, lightly peeled
- Few sprigs fresh mint, basil, nasturtiums
Insert butterfly. Place buttermilk, milk and cream into and cook 8 min/100°C/speed 3 then mix 1 min/speed 3.
Add salt and mix 1 min/speed 3.
Add lemon juice and mix 2 min/ to allow mixture to curdle. Leave mixture to stand for 1 minute, then pour into a cheesecloth-lined sieve and leave to strain for 2 hours. Transfer mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until required.
Weigh all ingredients into mixing bowl and mix 15 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides of bowl and repeat 15 sec/speed 7.
Strain mixture through a fine-meshed sieve, pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Once mixture is completely frozen, place ice cubes into mixing bowl and crush 10 sec/speed 9 or until a powdery consistency is achieved. Place into refrigerator until required.
Place all the ingredients into mixing bowl and press briefly 2 times/1 sec//Turbo or until tomatoes are broken up slightly and the ingredients are well mixed.
Leave mixture to marinate for approx. 1 hour, pour into a large sieve lined with a coffee filter and drain over a bowl for approx. 3 hours. The clear liquid in the bottom of the bowl will have an intense tomato flavour. Place liquid (tomato consommé) in the refrigerator until required.
Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Prepare a bowl of iced water. Using a sharp knife carefully cut a tiny cross in the bottom of each tomato and drop into the boiling water for 8 seconds. Remove tomatoes and plunge into the iced water to cease the cooking process.
Drain tomatoes and once cooled, remove skins. Place tomatoes into a serving bowl and set aside.
Using a melon baller, ball melon flesh and set aside with the tomatoes.
Return pot of salted water to the boil. Prepare another bowl of iced water. Cook cucumbers whole for 20 seconds, drain and refresh in iced water.
Add a little of the tomato consommé and a pinch of sea salt to the tomato and melon mix and gently combine.
Divide the tomatoes and melons among your serving plates.
Slice the cucumber and arrange around, and on top of, the tomato and melon mix. Spoon more of the tomato consommé over the salad and sprinkle with crumbled lemon ricotta. Garnish with sprigs of mint, basil, nasturtiums and a spoonful of the tomato granita.
Fresh lemon ricotta
Tomato and melon salad
This recipe is from Simon Wright of The French Café in Auckland, NZ.
We were lucky enough to have guest chef Simon Wright at the opening of our Auckland office on Monday, 24 September.
He inspired everyone with his skills. His restaurant the French Café was recently awarded Best Metro Restaurant of the Year in the categories of ‘Best fine dining’, ‘Best service’ and ‘Runner up—best drinks list’. High praise indeed! For more information about Simon, the restaurant or the master classes please visit www.thefrenchcafe.co.nz.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Traditional buttery mash potato
- Better than K*C Coleslaw
- Ayurvedic Quinoa Khichari with Mung Dal, Carrot & Kale
- Mashed potatoes
- Cucumber Yoghurt (kheyar b laban)
- Saute Sweet corn Kernel
- Asian Slaw Dressing
- Dairy Free Potato Salad
- Cauliflower Cheese & Bacon Fritters
- Pea & Mint Hummus
- Cauliflower whip
- Pork floss
- Satay noodle salad
- Taco seasoning
- Chocolate fondant cake
- Cheat's sourdough
- Spicy beef noodle soup (TM6 only)- Chef Mark Southon
- Sous vide fillet of beef with mushroom custard (TM6 only) - Chef Mark Southon
- Mashed potatoes
- Chiang mai noodles
- Spiced chocolate doughnuts - Louise Keats
- Steamed Sea bass in galangal, lemongrass & turmeric, wrapped in banana leaf & served with green mango salad - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Black sticky rice with taro & blue matcha ice cream - Chef Luke Nguyen
- Cauliflower tacos with chipotle sauce
- Aunty Jessie’s Jam Sponge Cake
- Green wellness juice
- Banana Bread
- No bake Malteser cheesecake with caramilk swirl
- Baked Espresso Martini Cheesecake with Kahlua Syrup
- Brown sugar and toffee cookies
- Teriyaki salmon with rice
- Pot set yoghurt
- Vegan espresso coconut cream caramel
- One-banana Banana Bread
- Janine's Rez B Haleeb (Rice Pudding)
- Caramilk Cheesecake