- 50 g Parmesan cheese, cut into cubes (2 cm)
- 200 g Butter, cut into cubes (1 cm) and frozen
- 200 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 pinch salt
- 80 g iced water
- 180 g red onion, cut into halves
- 1 garlic clove
- 150 g red capsicum, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 25 g Butter
- 40 g olive oil
- 80 g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 25 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 20 g currants
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 50 g crème fraiche
- .5 teaspoon Vegetable stock paste, (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
Place Parmesan cheese into mixing bowl and grate 8 sec/speed 8.
Add frozen butter, plain flour and salt and mix 10 sec/speed 5, to a bread crumb consistency.
Knead 1 min/"Dough mode" adding iced water through hole in mixing bowl.
Turn pastry onto silicone bread mat or cling film, dust liberally with extra flour and form into a rectangle. Place into refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator and roll to a rectangle about 60 cm x 20 cm. Fold the left third of the pastry across the centre third. Fold the right third of hte pastry across the centre as well. Turn the pastry one quarter turn to the right. Dust with flour and roll out to 60 cm x 20 cm again. Fold as before. Turn the pastry one quarter turn to the right. Dust with flour and roll out to 60 cm x 20 cm again. Fold as before. Place pastry into refrigerator for 30 minutes (or freezer for 15 minutes).
Place onion and garlic into mixing bowl and chop 2 sec/speed 5.
Add capsicum, butter and olive oil and cook 10 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add mushrooms, walnuts, currants and sage and cook 12 min/100°C/"Counter-clockwise operation" /speed 1.
Add créme fraîche, vegetable stock paste (optional), salt and pepper and cook 16 min/100°C/"Counter-clockwise operation" /speed 1/2, without measuring cup.
Taste for seasoning and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 190°C.
Remove pastry from refrigerator or freezer and divide in two pieces. Roll each into a circle (approx. 25 cm). Retain scraps for decoration. Place one circle on a lined baking tray. Spoon over cooled filling to 4 cm of the edge of the circle.
Crack egg into a small bowl, lightly whisk and brush edge of pastry circle with egg. Lay second pastry circle over the filling and crimp edge with a fork to seal. Brush top of pastry with egg. Add decoration and brush that with egg too. Pierce top with a knife or fork.
Bake for 30 minutes (190°C). Remove and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing into wedges.
Pithivier can be eaten warm or cold.
Parmesan puff pastry
Accessories you need
A pithivier is a French puff pastry tart, traditionally made with sweet almond cream. This savoury interpretation still has sweetness from the slow-cooked onions and dried fruit. It's a lovely dish to bring to a picnic, party or Christmas spread and can also be a tasty way to use up Christmas leftovers (see variation below).
Variation: Add a handful of diced leftover Christmas ham or turkey, If using turkey, replace the currants with dried cranberries.
You can also make smaller individual tarts.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Weetbix Banana Cinnamon Biscuits
- A1 Bakery's Cheese Pie by Haikal Raji - converted by Thermo Cazza
- Simple sausage rolls
- Sue's Secret Seedy Sheet Crackers
- Low Carb Gluten Free Cheese Scones-
- Apricot slice
- Cheesy Sweet Chilli Scrolls
- Sweet Potato, Bacon and Zucchini Frittata Variation Pumpkin,chorizo and spinach frittata
- Corn meat fritters
- Cauliflower Nuggets
- Zucchini slice
- Chilli Seed Crackers - Easy, Healthy, Quick
- Filipino Pandesal
- Easy Gluten Free Blueberry & Ricotta Cake
- Spiced Apricot Beef
- Whole orange, date, walnut, chia and oat muffins
- Moreish Coffee Streusel Slice
- Vegan Lemon Curd
- DATE, APRICOT AND CRANBERRY LOAF
- Macadmia Nut tartlets
- Donut ice-cream
- Weetbix Banana Cinnamon Biscuits
- Superfood Seed Bar
- MIxed Grain Bread rolls