- 60 grams Cadbury Old Gold Dark Chocolate
- 70 grams Block Cadbury Milk Chocolate
- 125 grams Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 95 grams water
- 160 grams plain flour
- 15 grams cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 270 grams caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 65 grams buttermilk
- 20 grams Mild-Flavoured Oil
- 150 grams Block Cadbury Milk Chocolate
- 150 grams Cadbury Old Gold Dark Chocolate
- 85 grams pure cream
8Recipe is created for
Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (not fan-forced).
Grease the side and base of a deep 23cm or 24cm diameter (inside top measurement) round cake pan. I recommend using a springform pan for easy removal of the cake. Line base and side of the pan with non-stick baking paper, extending the paper a few centimetres above the top rim of the pan.
Add Flour, Sugar, Cocoa Powder and Bicarbonate of Soda, mix on Speed 7 for 15 seconds. Tip into a seperate bowl.
Place chocolate, butter, coffee and water into TM bowl, 70 degrees, speed 3 for 3 minutes. Pour into a seperate jug and allow to cool to lukewarm/room temperature. No need to clean the bowl.
Place eggs, oil, vanilla and buttermilk into the bowl, mix on speed 4 for 5 seconds. Tip: pour things like oil into the MC cup for weighing.
Add flour mixture to the bowl, mix on speed 4 for 10 seconds. Scrape sides. Remove the MC cup, mix on speed 3, adding the chocolate mixture in three batches at 10 second intervals.
TIP: If you are making a larger cake (26 cm round or above) you will need to use a extra large mixing bowl and a whisk for this combining/mixture process. For further details on this process refer to: //www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html
Pour mixture into prepared tins.
Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes (24cm pan) or 1 hour and 30 minutes (23cm pan). Insert a thin-bladed knife or wooden skewer into the centre of the cake to test whether it is cooked through. If the knife/skewer comes out clean or with moist crumbs (not gooey batter) attached, the cake is ready.
Remove cake from oven, cover with a clean tea towel and allow to cool in the pan.
When the cake has cooled to room temperature, remove it from the pan. The top surface of the cake will probably have a crunchy crust, which you may wish to trim off. I turn the cake upside down to give a flat surface for icing.
Place broken up chocolate and cream in TM bowl melt, 50 degrees for 2-3 minutes, speed 3.
If necessary, allow the ganache to cool slightly at room temperature to obtain a spreadable.
Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
This mud cake is a great dense cake ideal for cake decorating. I also find I can make it several weeks ahead, ice and freeze. It takes about 3-4 days to defrost in the fridge and tastes delicious!
Ganache and Decorating
This is a soft, dense mud cake with a rich ganache icing. The cake can be served on its own or with cream and ice cream. Slices of the cake can be microwaved before serving to melt the ganache and form a chocolate sauce.
This cake also freezes really well.
This recipe has been adapted from www.exclusivelyfood.com.au. They also have a handy table when using different sized cake tins: //files.exclusivelyfood.com.au/tables/mud-cake-variations.pdf
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Black Bean Brownies - dairy and gluten free
- Autumn Pear cake
- Golden syrup spice cookies
- Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- Gluten, Dairy, Soy and Egg FREE Caramel Slice
- Variation Limes puff
- Banana Cake (Women's Weekly Recipe)
- Dotty's Melting moments with Maple buttercream
- Apple & Carrot Microwave Cake
- Milky Bar Cheesecake
- LCM Bars
- Tiny Teddies- Honey
- Chocolate-Caramel Hazelnut Slice ... HOWEZAT!
- Apple Slice ... HOWEZAT!
- Triple Chocolate Baked Cheesecake ... HOWEZAT!
- Smoked Salmon Omelette . . . HOWEZAT!
- 4-Way Mini Muffins . . . HOWEZAT!
- Fruit Filled Cereal Bars . . . HOWEZAT!
- Raspberry & White Chocolate Eclairs . . . HOWEZAT!
- Chicken, Parmesan and Spinach Loaf ... HOWEZAT!
- Mini Wagon Wheels . . . HOWEZAT!
- Beetroot Risotto with Persian Feta and Pine Nuts . . . HOWEZAT!
- Bacon and Onion Dip . . . HOWEZAT!
- Chocolate Chip Biscuits . . . HOWEZAT!
- Gluten Free Yeast Free Egg Free Bread Rolls
- Wontons in Chilli Broth
- Clean Snickers Slice
- Fettuccini Boscaiola
- White Sauce for lasagna
- Autumn Pear cake
- Spicy turmeric latte
- Golden syrup spice cookies
- Taro and sago
- Tomato-less tomato sauce (AIP friendly)
- Mexican-Inspired Baked Chicken Wraps with Avocado Dip
- Varoma Rhubarb