THERMOMIX ® RECIPE
- 85 g brown rice
- 150 g almonds
- 30 g potato starch
- 10 g tapiaco flour
- 2 tsp Guar Gum
- 75 g dates
- 1000 g dried fruits, raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, cranberries, prunes or figs
- 1 orange, peel and juice
- 1 lemon, peel and juice
- 150 g brandy, Sherry, whisky or rum, plus extra for feeding
- 250 g coconut oil
- 100 g Coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp ground gloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamons
- 100 g flaked almonds
- 4 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 240 g Coconut sugar
- 220 g blanched almonds
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 - 4 tsp rose water essence
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 - 3 tsp almond essence
1. Place brown rice into Thermomix bowl and mill for 1 minute / speed 10
2. Add almonds and mill for 10 seconds / speed 9
3. Add potato starch, tapioca flour and guar gum and mix for 5 seconds / speed 4. Set aside.
4. Place rind of Lemon and orange in Thermomix bowl and zest for 20 seconds / speed 8
5. Add dates (and any large dried fruit) and chop for 5 seconds / speed 5
6. Add the dried fruit, juice of lemon and orange, alcohol, coconut oil and coconut sugar and cook for 13 minutes / 95C / reverse speed 1. Leave to cool for 60 minutes.
7. Heat oven to 130C. Line a deep 20cm cake tin with a double layer of baking parchment, then wrap a double layer of newspaper around the outside – tie with string to secure.
8. Add the almond rice mix, baking powder, mixed spice, ground cinnamon, flaked almonds, eggs and vanilla bean and mix for 1 - 2 minutes / reverse speed 4
9. Tip into your prepared tin, level the top with the spatula and bake in the centre of the oven for 2 hrs.
10. Remove the cake from the oven, poke holes in it with a skewer and spoon over 2 tbsp of your chosen alcohol. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
11. To store, peel off the baking parchment, then wrap well in cling film.
12. Feed the cake with 1-2 tbsp alcohol every fortnight, until you ice it. Don’t feed the cake for the final week to give the surface a chance to dry before icing.
1. Place coconut sugar into the Thermomix bowl. Mill 15 – 30 times / Turbo 0.5 seconds, allowing the sugar to settle each time. Tip out and set aside
2. Place the blanched almonds (they must be dry) into the TM bowl and grind until fine 10 seconds / speed 10
3. Add most of the milled coconut sugar (save 2 Tbsp for step 5). Mix 10 seconds / speed 3
4. Add egg yolks and flavourings. Knead 1 minute / until a rough paste is formed – add the other egg yolk if it still looks like crumbs, then knead again 30 seconds /
5. Taste and add more almond extract if desired – knead 30 seconds / if you’ve added more. Turn out of the bowl and use the remaining coconut sugar to roll out the marzipan if needed
6. To store, wrap tightly with greaseproof paper or cling film and then store in an airtight bag or container in the fridge
Cover cake with Marzipan, and royal icing or fondant. I cheated and used bought stuff
Cake can be made 4 - 6 weeks before required and aged in an airtight container away from direct light
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Grandma's Yo-Yo's
- Honey cheese bread
- Hot Cross Buns- Dark Chocolate and Sour Cherry
- lynnes chocolate mud cake
- Home made Tim tam Cookie dough
- Fluffy scones
- Chocolate Brownie - Adapted from Long Track Pantry Jugiong NSW
- Oat and Date Bites
- Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies (cheat's version)
- Date Loaf
- Lemon Loaves
- Cherry & Apple Meringue Tart
- JBT Sweet Potato Brownie
- Berry Choc Chunk Bars (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free)
- Lemon Meringue Pies (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar free)
- Flu Fighter Immune Builder
- Choc Banana Brownie Pudding (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free)
- Coconut Choc Chunk Bars (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free)
- Carrot Cake with "Cream Cheese" Frosting (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free)
- Pistachio and Cranberry Balls
- Salted Caramel "Cheese" Cake (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free)
- Cinnamon Coconut Custard Cake (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free)
- Caramel Slice (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free)
- Mango Chutney (Refined Sugar Free)