- 100 g raw sugar
- 240 g plain flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 80 g dark chocolate chips
- 80 g White Chocolate Chips
- 120 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 160 g buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Add sugar to mixing bowl. Mill 3 seconds/speed 10
- Add flour, baking powder, and chocolate to mixing bowl. Mix 5 seconds//speed 3. Set aside.
- Add butter to the mixing bowl. Heat 2 minutes/50° C/ speed 1 or until melted.
- Add the buttermilk and egg. Beat 5 seconds/speed 3.
- Add reserved dry ingredients. Mix 3 seconds//speed 3. Do not overmix!
- Spoon mixture into muffin pans until about 3/4 full. Bake in a hot oven 200° C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Allow to cool in tin for a few minutes. Turn onto a wire rack and serve warm (yum!) or allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container
Do not overmix! If a little flour is not incorporated after 3 seconds, don't worry. Cooked muffins should be rough not smooth.
I keep my butter and buttermilk frozen, so I add both in together and melt them for 4 minutes/50° C/speed 1.
This recipe is based on a NESTLÉ promotion published in a Super Food Ideas magazine in the 1990s. It's so easy Mum used to make them for us before school and we'd take them wrapped in alfoil to eat warm at little lunch.
I stick with chocolate chip because it is amazing, but the original recipe suggests the following variations. Let us know in the comments if you thermify any of them!
Sultana and date: add 1/2 cup sultanas and 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates instead of chocolate
Blueberry: Add 1 cup blueberries instead of chocolate
Apple: Add 1 cup chopped, peeled and cored apple plus 1 tsp mixed spice to dry ingredients instead of chocolate
Wholemeal: Use wholemeal flour instead of white. Increase milk to 1 cup.
Poppy seed: Add the rind of one orange to the raw sugar and mill. Add 2 tbsp poppy seeds to the dry ingredients instead of chocolate
Banana: Add 1 mashed banana to the dry ingredients instead of chocolate
Carrot: Add 1 cup grated carrot and 1 tsp mixed spice to the dry ingredients instead of chocolate
Cheese and bacon: Add 1 cup grated tasty cheese and 1/2 cup cooked, chopped bacon to flour with 1 tbsp chopped parsley. Omit sugar and chocolate
Corn and cheese: Add 1 cup grated tasty cheese, 1 × 130g can corn niblets, drained and 1/2 cup chopped shallots to flour. Omit sugar and chocolate.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Sweet corn fritters
- Easy as apple tea cake
- Cheats Peach or Apple Kuchen
- Banana oat pancake
- Iced Chocolate Biscuits
- Sultana & coconut slice
- Cinnamon Apple Slice
- Quinoa, Chickpea & Spinach Balls in Tomato Sauce
- Banana pudding cake
- The Best Ever White Chocolate Mud Cake
- Chocolate creams
- Dairy Free Vanilla Custard