- 1 quantity sweet shortcrust pastry, chilled (see Everyday Cookbook, approx 380-400g)
- 1 lemon, zest only, no white pith
- 100 g caster sugar
- 120 g lemon juice (approx. 3 lemons)
- 65 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 eggs
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 150 g icing sugar
Lightly grease a 22 cm pie dish and set aside.
Roll out pastry onto ThermoMat or a lightly ﬂoured work surface to line your pie dish. Transfer pastry to prepared pie dish and remove any excess pastry hanging over the edges. Ensure there are no tears or holes in the pastry. Allow to rest 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line chilled pastry base with baking paper then ﬁll with pie weights or beans. Blind bake 15 minutes (180°C) on the bottom shelf of the oven until slightly golden. Remove pie weights or beans and bake for a further 10 minutes (180°C), until golden brown and cooked through. Set pastry in pie dish aside and allow to cool.
Place lemon zest and caster sugar into mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 9. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add lemon juice and butter and heat 3 min/60°C/speed 2.
With blades rotating 45 - 50 sec/speed 2, add eggs one at a time through hole in mixing bowl lid. Once eggs are incorporated, cook 7 min/80°C/speed 2. Filling will thicken as it cooks. Set aside. Thoroughly clean and dry mixing bowl.
Increase oven temperature to 200°C.
Insert butterﬂy. Place egg whites and cream of tartar into mixing bowl and whip 3 - 4 min/50°C/speed 3.5, continuing to whip until stiff peaks form.
With butterfly rotating 4 min/50°C/speed 3, add icing sugar one tablespoon at a time through hole in mixing bowl lid.
Transfer lemon ﬁlling into cooked pastry case and gently smooth over the top. Spread meringue on top of lemon ﬁlling and use a spoon to form soft peaks. Bake 5 minutes (200°C) until meringue is lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool (approx. 30 minutes) then transfer into the refrigerator to chill for minimum 1 hour.
Slice and serve chilled.
Lemon meringue pie is a great dessert or special treat at afternoon tea.
The recipe for one batch of sweet shortcrust pastry can be found in the Everyday Cookbook.
The filling of the pie will be a pouring custard consistency at step 7 when you add it to the pastry. This is why it is important to ensure that there are no holes in your pastry. If there are any holes, no need to worry, the pastry can be easily pressed back together prior to baking.
The recipe for this Lemon Meringue Pie and other delicious recipes can be found in our Everyday Cookbook. Visit //bit.ly/1hrB8Z3 or contact your Consultant to purchase your copy.
Other users also liked...
- 30 Second Whole Lemon Cake
- Gingerbread Loaf
- Zucchini Donuts
- Passionfruit Jelly cakes with Vanilla Custard Cream filling
- Ouma's Banana bread
- Banana and Blueberry Mini Loaf
- Fig, Almond and Orange Blossom tart by Layelle
- Whole Banana Bread
- Nut and gluten-free muesli bar
- Chocolate Cheesecake Brownie Slice
- Peanut Butter Caramel Slice (with gluten free option)
- White Choc Spiders
- Spiced pear jam and chorizo
- Barbecued pork ribs
- Satay noodle salad
- Taco seasoning
- Chocolate fondant cake
- Cheat's sourdough
- Spicy beef noodle soup (TM6 only)- Chef Mark Southon
- Sous vide fillet of beef with mushroom custard (TM6 only) - Chef Mark Southon
- Mashed potatoes
- Chiang mai noodles
- Spiced chocolate doughnuts - Louise Keats
- Steamed Sea bass in galangal, lemongrass & turmeric, wrapped in banana leaf & served with green mango salad - Chef Luke Nguyen
- 30 Second Whole Lemon Cake
- Quick Vanilla & Citrus Protein Bliss Balls
- Z's Grilled Octopus
- Quick carrot dhal
- Variation pineapple and mango soft serve
- French Apple Tart with Pastry Cream
- Caesar salad dressing
- Baked Falafel Bites
- creamy parmesan sauce or dip
- FISH FILLETS 'ALLO STILE GENNARO CONTALDO'
- TURKEY & ZUCCHINI BURGERS WITH SUMAC
- Creamy tuna dip