- For the brioche:
- orange peel from ½ orange
- 100 g raw sugar
- 250 g whole milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 l arge egg yolks
- 30 ml (6 teaspoons) bourbon
- 30 g freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons almond, extract
- 500 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 115 g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- For the filling:
- 450 g pecans, toasted and cooled
- 130 g Granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 60 g unsalted butter, small dice
- To assemble:
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons Milk
- For the decoration:
- 150 g sugar, milled to powder
- 3 teaspoon bourbon
- 5 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sanding sugar
8Recipe is created for
For the brioche:
orange skin and sugar in bowl. Mill 10 sec at speed 8.
- Add the milk to the bowl, sprinkle the yeast on top.
- Add the salt to the milk mixture and mix on speed 1 to combine.
Add the egg yolks, bourbon, orange juice, and almond extract. Add the flour and
nutmeg mix at speed 5 until the dough is moistened throughout and starts to
- Knead (interval speed) until the dough pulls away from the sides
of the bowl, forms a ball, and is smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes.
- Continue to knead while adding the butter via the MC hole, piece
by piece, letting each fully incorporate before adding the next. Leave the
dough in the bowl. Let sit in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- When the dough has doubled in size, knead for 30 sec then drop
from bowl into an oiled bowl or wrap in a Thermomat. Let rise until doubled in
size again, about 1 hour. (Alternatively, you can place it in the refrigerator
overnight to rise, about 12 to 16 hours. Be sure to let it sit at room
temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling.)
- Place the nuts in the bowl, pulse until coarsely chopped, about 3
x 1 sec pulses. Add the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and butter and pulse
until you have a coarse meal, about 2 more pulses.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside. Roll the
dough into a 70-by-20 cm rectangle. Leaving a 2 cm perimeter at the top and
bottom (the short sides), spread the filling out along the whole length of the
- Whisk together the egg yolk and milk until evenly combined. Brush
the exposed perimeter of the dough with the egg wash, fold the long sides of the
dough over the filling to form a long cylinder, and pinch the edge to seal.
Place the cake seam side down on the baking sheet, form into a ring, and pinch
the ends of the dough together to form a circle with about a 7 cm hole in the
middle. As needed, press on the circle so that the filling is evenly
distributed within the dough.
- Cover the cake loosely with a damp towel and set aside to rise
until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180°C and
arrange a rack in the middle.
- Just before baking, brush the remaining egg wash on the surface of
the cake. Place in the oven and bake until the cake has puffed up, the crust is
golden, and the underside is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove to a wire
rack and let cool at least 1 hour.
- Stir together the sugar, bourbon, and orange juice until evenly
combined. Brush the cake with icing and immediately decorate with sanding
You can colour your sugar with a few drops of food colour in course crystal sugar such as coffee crystals.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Chocolate LCM bars - Gluten Free, Nut Free, Sugar Free
- Lemon Slice
- Orange & poppyseed muffins
- Quick Milo Muffins
- Quick & Easy Blueberry Cake
- Breakfast Bliss
- Mel's Oat and Coconut Bars
- Best South African Milktart (Melktert)
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Variation 30 Second Whole Orange Cake
- 2-4-6-8 Cake (or Muffins)
- Power Protein Balls