- 1 portion cream, (600ml carton)
- 500 g cold water, from fridge
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt, to your taste
- 80 g flavourless oil, (eg grapeseed, rice bran etc. See notes)
(The following is my interpretation of the butter making recipe from the EDC, just as I make it, followed by how to turn that into spreadable butter)
Insert butterfly and add cream
Turn on to speed 4 for anywhere from 1-4 minutes until you hear the butter solids and buttermilk separate. Time varies depending on freshness and temperature of the cream. Older cream takes less time to turn into butter.
When you can see yellow butter solids and the white buttermilk, stop TM and remove butterfly. Insert steaming basket into TM bowl (on top of the butter solids which are still in the TM bowl) and pour buttermilk into a small jug. Remove basket and firmly press the butter solids against the side of the TM bowl to squeeze out as much buttermilk as you can, and pour into your jug.
Pour 500g of cold water in with the butter solids and mix on speed 4 for 10 seconds, press butter solids and drain all excess liquid. I use the TM spatula to very firmly press the butter into the side of the TM bowl, to try and get all liquid out.
Leave butter solids in TM bowl. Add salt and oil of choice and mix on speed 6 for 10-20 seconds. Mixture can be a little 'sloppy' depending on room temp, how long you mix it for etc, but it will firm up a little in the fridge. See tips section below for more info
I have made this with a few different types of oil. In our family we prefer grapeseed or rice bran oil. I am yet to try it with flavourless coconut oil, but I would also give that a try.
I definitely would not recommend using canola oil! Also if you choose to use olive oil, it does have quite a distinct taste which you may not like or be used to, which is why I recommend a flavourless oil.
Salt is a personal preference, but it does help to preserve your spreadable butter a little longer too. We use 1/2 ts, but everyone is different, so please use what you like for your taste.
For more info on oils I highly recommend reading here:
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Nat's Saucy Pork Belly
- Orange & Apple Cous Cous
- Orange Salt & Pepper Rub
- Orange & Poppyseed Glazed Varoma Chicken
- My Husband's Bachelor 'Baked' Beans
- "I LOVE your Cauliflower Cheese" bake
- Varoma Teriyaki Style Fish & Udon Noodles with steamed veggies
- Mocha custard
- Purple Carrot & Date Muffins
- Cherry Ripe Soft Serve
- Lemony Lemon Brownies
- Marbled Orange Cream & Brazil Nut Brownies
- FODMAP friendly Eggplant Curry
- Apple Shortcake
- beckys Spaghetti Bolognese sauce
- Blueberry Muffins - (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Broccoli and blue cheese soup
- Mini Baked cheesecake
- Vegan Caramel Sauce DF GF
- White cabbage chorizo potato soup
- Variation Best Ever Carrot Cake
- Chai & White Chocolate Cupcakes
- Grain Free Vegetable Lasagne
- Cacao & Mint Bliss Balls