- 80 g Fresh Turmeric
- 12 --- birdseye chillis
- 8 --- shallots
- 10 --- garlic cloves
- 10 g ginger
- 2 --- lemongrass stalks (white part only)
- 2 tbsp Ground Coriander
- 40 g olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 5 --- Kaffir lime leaves
- 2 --- Curry Leaves
- 2000 g boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
28h 0minPreparation 24h 0minBaking/Cooking
8Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
- The night before cooking, cut off strings and flatten pork shoulder out on a tray, dry it with a paper towel and put in the fridge uncovered. This helps to dry the skin out to get nice crispy crackling. Minumum time I would leave in the fridge uncovered is 3 hours if you want a good crackling.
1. Put all spice paste ingredients in the bowl and blend 30 seconds, speed 9, scrape down and blend another 30 seconds speed 9. It should be a nice smooth paste (if not keep blending until it is)
2. This quantity of paste makes enough for 2 roasts so you can put half in the freezer for later use.
1. Keep the pork skin dry at all times. Lay some paper towel down on the bench and then place the pork, skin side down on the paper towel.
2. Make some long deep cuts in the flesh vertically across the shoulder, but don't cut right through to the skin.
3. Rub paste all over the pork flesh and right down into the cuts you made and spead it all over the skin.
4. Use metal skewers to hold the pork roast together and keep the paste inside
5. Carefully turn pork back over on to tray skin side up
6. Rub 1 tbps turmeric and 1tbsp salt into pork skin
7. Leave to marinate for a few hours in the fridge (it can be cooked straight away if you like)
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius
2. Place pork shoulder in oven for 30 minutes on 220 then reduce oven to 160.
3. Cook for 2.5 hours on 160. Put a tray of water onto bottom shelf of oven to keep the pork nice and moist.
4. Turn the oven up to 220 on fan grill and place the shoulder on the bottom tray of the oven. This will make the skin puff up and go crispy. (will take about 5 minutes keep an eye on it)
5. Take the pork out of the oven and cover loosely with foil. Leave it to rest for 30 minutes.
6. Slice it up into bite sized pieces and then pour the pan juices over the pork.
7. Serve with rice, asian veggies, cauliflower mash, garlic beans - whatever you like really!
Blend Spice Paste
Cook the roast
Accessories you need
This recipe was inspired by https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/chefs-recipes/balinese-roast-pork-babi-guling-7709
The paste is enough for 2 portions so you can halve it if you only want to make one portion but I find it easier to make 2 at once and then freeze half ready for next time
You can use ground turmeric instead of fresh - but the taste is way better with fresh.
Add chillis to your liking.
I know this isn't technically a thermomix recipe as all you are doing is blending the spice paste but it was too good not to share!
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Paleo: Phat Si Ew
- Monday Night (Beef or Lamb) Curry
- Italian Beef Ragu
- lchf chicken chirizo balls
- Curried Meatloves with BBQ Glaze Sauce
- 3 ways chicken fajitas
- Stuffed Burgers
- SWEET& SOUR PORK
- Zanzibar Coconut Chicken Curry
- Hainanese Chicken Rice
- Beef Larb (Spicy Beef Salad)
- Babi Rica - Indonesian Spicy Pork Curry
- Chicken & Vegetable Pie
- Ginger crunch
- Middle Eastern BBQ'd Pumpkin Bread
- Savoury Biscotti
- Alkalising GF/DF/EF/YF bread
- The Daily Mix - Christmas Spiced Shortbread
- Raw Choc Covered Christmas Pudds
- Pecan and Maple Syrup slice
- Jaffa Truffles
- Luxurious Oatmeal Milk Bath
- Ultimate Vegan Cleansing Salad
- Green Smoothie Muffins