- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves only
- 1000 g chicken thighs, or one package
- 20 g chili powder, or Mexican spice blend
- 2 tbsp plain flour or rice flour, - OR - 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Red Capiscum, (red pepper), seeds removed and cut into strips
- 1 green capiscum, (green pepper), seeds removed and cut into strips
- 1000 g water
- 200 - 400 g basmati rice, or long-grain rice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 or 2 spring onions, sliced thinly
- green beans, or carrot and courgette tagliatelle
- a shallow dish or a plastic bag
- a foil-lined baking tray if you crisp the skin under the grill
1h 10minPreparation 10minBaking/Cooking
8Recipe is created for
Chop coriander leaves at speed 6/3 seconds. Scrape out with spatula and set aside.
Place chili powder or Mexican Spice Blend and your chosen flour into a plastic bag along with the salt and pepper. Add the chicken thighs, close the bag and shake to coat evenly. If you’re using a shallow dish, toss all ingredients in the dish with your hands until evenly coated. Place the coated chicken thighs into the Varoma dish and scatter the strips of red and green peppers/capsicum on top. Pop the lid onto the Varoma.
Add 1000 g of water to the Thermomix bowl, place the TM lid on top and place the Varoma on the lid. Cook 40 minutes/Varoma setting/Speed 2. (Optional: prepare some green beans or carrot and courgette tagliatelle.)
Very carefully remove the Varoma from the Thermomix. Remove the TM lid and insert the simmering basket. Weigh in the rice and add 1 tsp. of salt. (Optional: add your prepared green beans or carrot and courgette tagliatelle to the Varoma tray and place the tray into the Varoma.) Replace the TM lid and the Varoma. Rinse the rice 10 seconds/Speed 7 and notice the wonderful Soft Start safety feature. Cook another 10 minutes/Varoma setting/Speed 2. Now’s the time to preheat your oven on a high grill setting.
After 10 minutes, very carefully remove the Varoma and set it aside on its upturned lid. Take the pepper/capsicum strips from the Varoma and place them on top of the partially-cooked rice in the simmering basket. Finish cooking the rice 10 minutes/Varoma setting/Speed 2.
Now place your skin-on chicken thighs onto a foil-lined baking tray and pop them under the grill for 5 minutes or until the spice-coated skin is nice and crispy. You might want to warm some plates in the oven while the chicken is crisping up.
At the end of the crisping and cooking time, serve your Mexican Chicken Thighs on top of the fragrant rice and pepper/capsicum strips, along with your optional additional vegetables. Garnish with lots of chopped coriander and spring onion for a lovely, fresh contrast.
Bon appétit !
Make your Mexican Chicken All-in-One Varoma Meal
This is a great mid-week family meal that won’t cost an arm and a leg. You can either steam the chicken thighs with their skin and then crisp them up under the grill or remove the skin for a lower fat version that will be just as tasty. To make it go even further, add some more veg such as green beans or carrot and courgette tagliatelli to the Varoma tray during the last 15 minutes of steaming.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Paleo: Phat Si Ew
- Monday Night (Beef or Lamb) Curry
- Italian Beef Ragu
- lchf chicken chirizo balls
- Curried Meatloves with BBQ Glaze Sauce
- 3 ways chicken fajitas
- Stuffed Burgers
- SWEET& SOUR PORK
- Zanzibar Coconut Chicken Curry
- Hainanese Chicken Rice
- Babi Guling - Balinese Roast Pork
- Beef Larb (Spicy Beef Salad)
- Mom’s Chili Con Carne, Thermomix style
- Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegetarian Coconut Milk Wraps with Sweet Chilli and Lime Dipping Sauce
- Green Tomato Chutney
- Marion’s Fabulous Scones
- Artichokes Vinaigrette in the Varoma!
- Cauliflower Couscous (Tabouleh)
- Coffee Walnut Cake
- Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Gluten Free and Grain Free)
- Low Fat All-in-One Varoma Chicken Supper
- Madame Thermomix’s Spicy Crab Tempura
- Bernie Brennan’s Almond and Seed Crackers
- Patricia Wells’ Black Olive Tapenade
- Chicken & Vegetable Pie
- Middle Eastern BBQ'd Pumpkin Bread
- Savoury Biscotti
- Alkalising GF/DF/EF/YF bread
- Raw Choc Covered Christmas Pudds
- Pecan and Maple Syrup slice
- Luxurious Oatmeal Milk Bath
- Shortcrust Pastry
- Ultimate Vegan Cleansing Salad
- Green Smoothie Muffins
- Quick fruit sponge
- Raw Tahini Dressing