- 1 cup Quinoa, soaked and rinsed*
- 1/2 cup split mung dah, soaked and rinsed
- 2-3 tbsp ghee or oil of choice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cm piece ginger, peeled or 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4-6 cups of water**
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch black pepper (or more depending on dosha type)
- 1 handful chopped carrot or sweet potato
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cardamon pods
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- extra ginger
- fresh coriander
- lime lemon juice
Recipe is created for
91st main course 2nd main course Main course Starter Alcohol-free Children food Egg free Gluten free Lactose free Non-dairy Vegetarian Nut free Autumn Mother's Day Spring Summer Winter Cooking Heating Easy Low budget Natural Indian Brunch Dinner Lunch Snack Supper Buffet Everyday Kids in the kitchen Picnic Legumes dish Rice dish Vegetable dish
1. Wash and rinse the quinoa and mungdahl till water runs clear. *Ideally soak the 2hours or overnight to make them even easier to digest.
2. Add cumin seeds and other seeds/spices*** to mixing bowl. Dry roast 8 mns/Varoma/speed 1.
3. Add fresh ginger and chop 10 sec/speed 9 (you can prechop ginger and leave the grinding of spices if you prefer whole spices in your kicharee). Scrape down sides of bowl.
4. Add ghee or oil + turmeric and cook 3 mns/100/sp 1.
5. Add soaked and drained quinoa and mung dahl. mix 4 sec//sp 3 to combine with spices.
6. Add 4 cups water, ( and diced vegetables if using) salt and pepper and cook 20 mns/100C//sp1.5 (you can bring the speed to 3.5 for the first 4 seconds to ensure water mixes properly with dahl). place simmering basket on top of lid instead of mc
7. after 20 minutes check consistency. You want dahl and quinoa really soft and well cooked. extend cooking time with 10 mns. Add extra liquid (up to 2 cups) if kicharee is getting dry.
* Ideally soak the 2hours or overnight to make them even easier to digest. You can use the traditional Basmati rice instead of quinoa.
** the amount of liquid needed might depend on how long your quinoa and mung has been soaked (shorter soaking time: kicharee will need more liquid). PLEASE NOTE: Pre soaking is always best: if using TM 31, you can only use 4 cups of water!! do NOT use 6 cups from the beginning, as your bowl will be too full!
*** Use extra spices according to your dosha:
Vata types: add more ghee, fennel seeds, extra ginger, garnish with yoghurt.
Pitta Types: add more ghee, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, garnish with fresh coriander.
Kapha Types: add more ginger, mustard seeds, can use less water, garnish with lime juice and black pepper
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Cauliflower, Paneer and Pea Curry:
- Almond Sushi “Rice”
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Zucchini with tomato (kosa a banadoura)
- Thai Brinjal and Tomato Soup
- FODMAP Friendly Lentil Bolognaise
- Red Lentil Dahl
- Jamie Oliver’s eggplant dhal
- Tostadas - Jo Whitton
- Spinach Pie aka Spanakopita
- Thai Green Curry Recipe With Spring Vegetables:
- cauliflower sauce (gf df)
- Walnut Patties
- Lentil Moussaka (vegan)
- MuesliBars (nut free)
- Nut, Seed and Vanilla Mylk Smoothie
- gluten free vegetable buns
- Rice Tortitas - Spanish
- green smoothie: my favorite!
- Green Smoothie (basic)
- Cream of Asparagus Soup (dairy free)
- Quinoa & Spring Vegetable Salad with Kale Pesto
- Coconut Custard (Vegan)
- Fennel soup
- TM6 Vanilla Yoghurt Pot Set
- TM5 Automated Yoghurt
- TM6 Vanilla Yoghurt - in bowl
- Strawberry Tiramisu (kids friendly, no alcohol)
- Quick Avocado/Yoghurt Dip
- Ham and Cheese Soup
- Apple pie cupcakes
- Simple mango banana smoothie
- Cauliflower Broccoli and Carrot Coleslaw (no cabbage!)
- Curried lentil and pumpkin soup
- Yoghurt Thick and Creamy 2L