- 250 grams Whole wheat grain
- 1 heaped tbsp salt, fine
- 5 sprigs Parsely
- 1/2 zest of lemon peeled with potato peeler
- 100 grams extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, or fresh to taste
- 100 grams limes juiced (or juice of 2 lemons)
- 2-3 corn cobs, cut into 1/2 inch wheels
- Snow peas (whole), stalks removed & cut in half
- 2 Avocados, deseeded, cut into large slithers
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- asparagus, green, cut into thirds on an angle
Pre soak overnight, cover grains with water & with a tsp yoghurt or a squeeze of lemon juice. Then rinse well with running water in the TM steamer basket and leave to drain whilst preparing ingredients for the salad.
Cut Parsley and lemon zest 5 sec speed 7, scrape out and set aside. Do not rinse bowl.
Fill TM bowl with 1 litre water, salt and presoaked wheatberries, and cook 25min, Varoma Temp
Place Corn wheels into Varoma to steam at the same time, then in the last 5 minutes - add snow peas & asparagus on Varoma Tray until tender. Take Varoma Tray off when finished steaming, blanch by adding a handful of ice cubes and cold water to retain the bright green of the steamed veges.
Drain Cooked Wheat Berries and add to a large Salad Bowl, let cool, then toss together steamed vegetables and fresh salad ingredients,
Dress salad with lemon juice, olive oil & parsley / lemon zest, salt, pepper and chilli flates to taste.
Similar in shape to short-grain brown rice, wheat berries are whole wheat kernels from which whole wheat flour is made from. Both varieties, red and white, are whole grains that have only had the hull removed.
Since only the hull has been removed, wheat berries are nutritional power-houses. A half cup of cooked wheat berries contains 3.5 g protein, 4.3 g of fiber, and only 111 calories. They are also loaded with antioxidant vitamin E and magnesium, which is important for bone and muscles.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Cauliflower, Paneer and Pea Curry:
- Almond Sushi “Rice”
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Zucchini with tomato (kosa a banadoura)
- Thai Brinjal and Tomato Soup
- FODMAP Friendly Lentil Bolognaise
- Red Lentil Dahl
- Jamie Oliver’s eggplant dhal
- Tostadas - Jo Whitton
- Spinach Pie aka Spanakopita
- Thai Green Curry Recipe With Spring Vegetables: