- 150 g white onion, (about 1 medium), roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 corn cobs, (780 g each whole)
- 30 g Butter, softened
- 40 g masa lista
- 1000 g water
- 120 g white onion, (about 1 small), roughly chopped
- 90 g carrot, (about 1 medium), roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 dried guajillo chillies, deseeded and deveined
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 40 g olive oil
- 5 fresh tomatoes, ripe (about 120 g each), halved
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- goat's cheese, to serve
- chargrilled capsicum, finely sliced, to serve
- fresh coriander, to garnish
Place white onion and garlic cloves into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula and repeat chopping.
Trim corn off cob being careful not to cut into the cob. Add corn kernels and butter to mixing bowl and blend 4 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and repeat blending 4 sec/speed 6.
Add masa lista and combine 20 sec/speed 2. Transfer into a bowl and set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
Place water into mixing bowl and heat 7 min/Varoma/speed 1, or until boiling.
In the meantime, spread a sheet of cling film out onto your benchtop and place ¼ of the mixture on top, then arrange mixture into a long thin log (about 3 cm x 15 cm), roll the cling film around the log (tamale) and wrap tightly, then twist both ends to seal, like a wrapped lolly. Repeat process using a 1/4 of the mixture at a time, so you finish with four rolled tamales wrapped in cling film.
Place wrapped tamales onto Varoma tray and place Varoma into position. Steam 20 min/Varoma/speed 2. Alllow to cool slightly then unwrap and set aside.
Place white onion, carrot, garlic cloves, dried guajillo chillies and dried oregano into mixing bowl and chop 10 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
Add olive oil and saute 8 min/100°C/speed 1.
Add fresh tomatoes, salt and freshly ground black pepper and blend 10 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula. Cook 17 min/100°C/speed 2, then blend 20 sec/speed 7.
To serve, spread tomato sauce over the bottom of four plates, place tamales on top, sprinklied with goat's cheese, chargrilled capsicum and fresh coriander.
Masa Lista is maize corn meal used all over central and south America. It is used to make tortillas, tacos, pupusas, tamales, corn chips, etc. it may also be called Masa Harina. It is readily available from online or local specialty grocers.
Other users also liked...
- Sourdough (in a date loaf tin)
- Strawberry & Vanilla Teacake
- Teriyaki Chicken - 20 minute quick meal
- Easy Peasy Chocolate Cookies
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Yuzu Mayonnaise
- Graff - Macedonian Bean soup recipe
- Baked Cottage Cheese crepes
- Vanilla Slice
- coconut milk, for cream, see tips
- Peanutbutter choc chip cookie
- Vanilla Fudge