- 330 grams raw sugar
- 250 grams Butter, salt reduced, Cubed
- 4 eggs
- 15 grams vanilla extract
- 460 grams Self Raising Flour
- 260 grams Milk, G
- Food Coloring, (red, blue, green, yellow, pink, orange)
- 200 grams egg whites
- 400 grams white sugar
- 15 grams vanilla extract or essence
- 600 grams cream
- 100 grams raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon 100's and 1000's
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place sugar into Thermomix and blitz on speed 6 for 20 seconds.
- Insert cubed butter and set Thermomix for 3 minutes at speed 3. Scrap down sides of the bowl and process for a further minute on speed 3.
- Keep the Thermomix running, add the eggs one at a time, allow approximately 20 seconds between additions to incorporate the eggs into the batter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after the last egg is added to the mixture and incorporate for 20 seconds. Process for a further 1 minute. Don't worry if it looks curdled at this time, it will come back together.
- Weigh the mixture and divide evenly into 6 portions. Dye one portion each Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Pink.
- Place cake batter into separate 20cm round cake tins and cook for 15 minutes in your per-heated oven, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Insert sugar and blitz on speed 10 until fine.
- Insert butterfly. Place all remaining ingredients into the Thermomix. Select temperature 70, speed 4 for 5 minutes. If icing remains grainy, continue mixing for another 1 - 2 minutes. The icing should be white and glossy and have firm peaks.
- Place cream into Thermomix. Insert butterfly and turn to speed 4. Watch the cream until it gets to the desired whipped cream consistency (it should be firm or stiff peaks) - approximately 30 - 45 seconds.
- Clean out bowl (wash, clean and dry).
- Place the jam into the Thermomix set to speed 2, reverse speed , temperature 50 for 1 minute. Keep watch as you are just looking to melt the jam so that it can be easily spread onto the cakes.
Now for the fun part!Select your serving plate / cake stand, place a small dollop of icing in the centre of the plate/stand.
At this point, if your cakes are a little uneven (like mine generally are!) clean and level them up to create flat layers.
- Place the blue layer cake on top of the dollop of icing. Spread a thin layer of jam onto the cake, on top of this place a reasonable layer of cream onto the cake (approximately 0.5cm in height). Do not spread the cream out to the edge, keep it 1 - 1 1/2 cm inside the outer edge. As you place the next layer on top a slightly press down the cream will spread to the edges.
- Repeat this process with the Green, Yellow, Orange and Pink layers of the cake.
- Place a layer of icing on top of the cake, slowly dollop and spread the icing around the outside of the cake. You can either go for the rustic look keeping little peaks and troughs all over the cake or create a completely smooth surface - the choice is yours!
- Sprinkle the top and sides of the cake with 100's and 1000's.
Bringing it together
I have tried this with only 2 layers of whipped cream, we all agreed it needed all layers to have whipped cream!
Note for Step 6: This batter generally weigh 1.5kgs, and can be divided into 6 equal portions of 250grams each.
Tip for the Meringue Icing: Best to do this in a cool environment! Trial and error has seen it not turn out well in a humid or warm environment (cake fail for a naming day!). It is a very sweet icing, alternatives which would be just as yum: whipped cream, buttercream icing and / or ganache. Pick the one you like best and give it a try .
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Cranberry, Oats and White Chocolate Biscuits.
- Grain free chocolate mud cake cupcakes
- Bounty Cake
- Double choc caramel slice
- French Chocolate Teacake
- Protein Bars
- All in one apple, carrot and blueberry cake
- Easy Lemon Cake
- Gingerbread Biscuits
- Dee's Magnificent Shortbread
- Hemp lovlies - vegan
- Breastfeeding (lactation) cookies