- 40 grams linseeds / flaxseeds
- 100 grams almonds
- 20 grams psyllium husks or powder (4 rounded tsp)
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons xylitol
- 20 sultanas (optional)
- 160 grams sour cream
- Preheat oven and oven tray to 180 fan forced or 200 non fan forced
- Grind almonds, linseeds and psyllium on speed 10, 20 seconds.(nb: noisy) can sub for flaxseed meal, almond flour and psyllium powder and skip this step
- Add all other ingredients for dough and mix speed 5, 30 seconds
- Scrape down and mix speed 4, 10 seconds.
- Scrape out mixture onto baking paper and leave it to sit 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the ingredients for crosses (1/2 tsp psyllium, 1 tsp coconut flour, 3 Tbs water)
- With wet hands, shape the dough into 12 small or 9 regular sized hot cross buns, you may need to wet your hands a few times through this process.
- Place the dough balls on the baking paper so they are only just touching each another
- Using a spoon, knife or piping bag, make the cross markings by spreading a thin line of the mixture across the tops of the buns. Add water if it becomes too thick.
- Slide the baking paper with buns onto the hot oven tray and place into hot oven for 25-30 minutes.
Recipe can be halved
Recipe adapted from Swedish breakfast buns recipe
Please note: if you are using runny sour cream, increase psyllium by 1tsp.
If the mixture is still runny at the end after waiting 5 minutes, add another tsp of psyllium and mix through speed 3, 5 seconds then wait 5 minutes again. (My sour cream was firm, almost the consistency of cream cheese)
**I just made another batch, only had 100g sour cream so increased butter to 80, also did the crosses with just coconut flour and water this time, easier to work with and will taste better I think!
Also - add cacao nibs or sultanas or sugar if you wish but as it is its all green list, oh and the more butter when served the better!!!
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Mandy’s Chicken and Mushroom Filling
- Authentic Lebanese Brown Lentil Soup
- Aunty Jessie’s Jam Sponge Cake
- Banana Bread
- Brown sugar and toffee cookies
- One-banana Banana Bread
- Turkish simit
- Lemon Slice
- The. Fast 800 Chicken Pieces with Parmesan Crumb converted by Thermo-lish
- Tracy’s Beef Rendang
- Chinese Cabbage and Pork Bun
- Rice and lentils (majadra)