- 800 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, each thigh cut into 8 pieces
- 30 g lemon juice
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 150 g natural yoghurt
- 120 g tandoori paste (see Tips)
- oil, for greasing
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 cm piece cinnamon quill
- 1 cardamom pod (black)
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 45 g ghee (see Tips)
- 1-2 brown onions (approx. 180 g), cut into halves
- 20 g ginger paste (see Tips)
- 10 g garlic paste (see Tips)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 fresh long green chillies, trimmed and cut into halves (optional)
- 20 sprigs fresh coriander, leaves, stalks and roots, cut into thirds, plus extra leaves for garnishing (see Tips)
- 400 g canned whole tomatoes
- 70 g water
- 70 g cashews, plus extra for garnishing
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garam masala (see Tips)
- 100 g pouring (whipping) cream
- Place a bowl onto mixing bowl lid and weigh chicken and lemon juice into it, toss to combine. Rub salt over chicken. Place bowl back onto mixing bowl lid and weigh yoghurt and tandoori paste into it. Rub marinade into chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 20 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat grill. Line a baking tray (30 x 40 cm) with aluminium foil, then grease with oil and set aside.
- Place chicken onto prepared tray and grill for 8 minutes, turning every 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and edges are slightly blackened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamom pod and fenugreek seeds into mixing bowl and roast 2 in/Varoma/speed 1. Allow to cool in mixing bowl for 1 minute, then mill 1 min/speed 10. Transfer into a bowl and set aside. Do not clean mixing bowl.
- Place ghee, onion, ginger paste, garlic paste, salt, chillies (optional) and half of the fresh coriander into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and cook 10 min/100°C/speed 1, without measuring cup.
- Add reserved spices, avoiding blades, and cook 1 min/100°C/ speed 1. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add tomatoes, water and cashews and cook 7 min/100°C/speed "Gentle stir setting" , placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid.
- Add 20 g of the butter and remaining coriander and blend 30 sec/speed 4-8, increasing speed gradually from speed 4 to speed 8.
- Add reserved grilld chicken and garam masala. Lightly stir with aid of spatula, then cook 5 min/90°C/speed "Gentle stir setting" or until chicken is hot. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add cream and remaining 20 g butter. Lightly stir with aid of spatula, then cook 2 min/70°C/speed 1, until butter melts. Garnish with extra cashews and coriander leaves before serving.
Accessories you need
To make your own tandoori paste, ghee, ginger paste, garlic paste and garam masala, please refer to www.cookidoo.com.au
Clean and scrape down the roots of your coriander to remove the tougher, more fibrous bits on the outside before adding to mixing bowl.
To save time, grill the marinated chicken while the onions are cooking (step 6). For a smoky flavour, grill the marinated chicken on the barbecue.
Traditionally the chicken is cooked in a tandoor (traditional clay oven), where the temperature can get higher than conventional ovens, to keep the meat tender. By grilling or barbecuing your chicken before adding to the sauce, you can achieve a similar result without a clay oven.
If you prefer your sauce to be a bit thinner, add an additonal 30 g water when adding chicken to mixing bowl.
If you do not want to grill your chicken, reduce yoghurt to 100 g and omit water from recipe. Add chicken when adding garam masala in step 10 and cook 15-20 min/100°C/speed "Gentle stir setting" . Proceed as per remainder of recipe.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- BASO SAPI (INDONESIAN MEAT BALLS)
- Birria Tacos - TikTok Tacos
- Chelsea Winter Morrocan Chicken and Apricot Salad
- Cheats High Protein Nacho’s
- Turkey Stuffing
- Shredded Chicken
- BBQ Pulled Pork
- Savoury Mince
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Paleo Meatloaf
- Stirfry Minced Pork with Eggplant
- Thermomixtress' Favourite Savoury Mince Recipe
- Parmesan cheese crisps
- Tostadas - Jo Whitton
- Spiced pear jam and chorizo
- Barbecued pork ribs
- Satay noodle salad
- Taco seasoning
- Chocolate fondant cake
- Cheat's sourdough
- Spicy beef noodle soup (TM6 only)- Chef Mark Southon
- Sous vide fillet of beef with mushroom custard (TM6 only) - Chef Mark Southon
- Mashed potatoes
- Chiang mai noodles
- My Everyday White Bread
- Coffee Streusel Muffins
- Treens Thai Pumpkin & Kumera Soup
- Treens Cheese Sauce
- Curried egg
- BASO SAPI (INDONESIAN MEAT BALLS)
- Spinach and Ricotta Filo Pie
- Low FODMAP Choc Peanut Bliss Balls
- Magnolia Kitchen allergy friendly chocolate cake
- Tenina's Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Passionfruit Slice
- Peanut Bites