- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli, (to taste)
- 1 onion, peeled & halved
- 30 g ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 500 g diced chicken thighs
- 30 g olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100 g chick peas, tinned
- 100 g white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice and lemon zest
- 1 tbsp cummin seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock, (made in TM)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 50 gram currants
- Couscous to serve
- coriander fresh, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
Recipe is created for
TM 6For cooking (simmering) at temperatures of 95°C or above (200°F), the simmering basket should always be used instead of the TM6 measuring cup, as the TM6 measuring cup fits tightly in the lid. The simmering basket rests loosely on top, is steam-permeable, and also prevents food spatter from the mixing bowl.
Recipe is created for
TM 5If you are using a Thermomix® TM6 measuring cup with your Thermomix® TM5:
For cooking (simmering) at temperatures of 95°C or above (200°F), the simmering basket should always be used instead of the TM6 measuring cup, as the TM6 measuring cup fits tightly in the lid. The simmering basket rests loosely on top, is steam-permeable, and also prevents food spatter from the mixing bowl.
Recipe is created for
- 1. Add onion, garlic, chilli, lemon zest and ginger to the TM bowl. Speed 6 for 3-4 secs. Scrape down sides.
2. Add ground cumin, cinnamon, pepper and tumeric. Speed 6 for 2 seconds. Scrape down sides if required.
3. Add chicken and oil. Set to 100 defrees "Counter-clockwise operation" for 10 minutes, "Gentle stir setting" (ie slowest speed)
4. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tomatoes, cumin seeds, honey, wine, stock, currants, saffron. You can also add the pomegranate molasses and sumac here if you are using them.
5. Cook 100 degrees, "Counter-clockwise operation" "Gentle stir setting" for 6 minutes. (MC tilted or off)
6. Serve with couscous garnished with fresh coriander.
Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients, it's really quick and easy to prepare. This was one of my favourite Karen Martini dishes hence was one of the first dishes I converted after getting my Thermomix! (6 years ago)
Accessories you need
Couscous can be steamed in the Varoma. Put the cooked chicken in the Thermoserver to keep warm. Rinse 200g of couscous under tap. Line varoma tray with wet baking paper and lay out couscous on paper. Add 1 ltre of water to the TM bowl, place Varoma unit on top and set to Varoma temperature for 15 minutes.
If using chicken breast you are better off coating it lightly in the spice mix but then steaming it in the Varoma for 10 mins and then finish off in the sauce in the TM bowl for the last few mins as chicken breast tends to shred in the bowl. I have tried steaming the chicken breast in the Varoma dish and the couscous in the Varoma tray while the sauce was cooking so it is all cooked at once. I'll update this recipe with those instructions once I have the cooking times a bit more accurate.
I've updated the recipe to remove the extra salt and reduced the amount of Concentrated Vegetable Stock to 1 tablespoon following comments that it is too salty. I should have remembered that I only use half the salt that is recommended in the EDC when I make my veggie stock and I had forgotten the extra salt was included - my salt tastes have changed over the years and I haven't been added it myself. Apologies to those that found it too salty.
Also, you should be able to cook this in the later models of TMs. I just don't know if all the contols are the same. I think it's a bigger problem making something in a TM31 when it is created for a TM5 only becasue the bowl is smaller in the TM31
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or The Mix Australia Pty Ltd and The Mix New Zealand Ltd.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and The Mix Australia Pty Ltd and The Mix New Zealand Ltd assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- CHICKEN LARB WITH GLASS NOODLES
- Devilled Meatloaf
- Chicken Marinade - Honey Soy Ginger
- Chinese Honey Chicken
- Braised Chicken Drumstick
- Nans Savoury Mustard Mince
- Chicken - Shrimp Shumai by @levi_nathania
- Stir Fry
- Butter Chicken
- LOW CARB Sloppy Joe’s
- Pork Rissoles
- Chicken Soup with Luncheon by @levi_nathania