- 250 g Canned Chickpeas
- 150 g Chickpea liquid, This equals ONE tin of chickpeas including the liquid in the can
- 35 g cold water
- 40 g Vegetable stock paste
- 20 g white vinegar
- 1 level tablespoon dried onion powder
- 2 level teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1 level tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 220 g Vital wheat gluten flour
2h 30minPreparation 30minBaking/Cooking
Recipe is created for
- Measure all ingredients EXCEPT the Vital wheat Gluten into bowl "Closed lid"
- Blend 30s sp 9 until very smooth
- Measure Vital wheat Gluten into bowl "Closed lid" and blend 15 s sp 5 until just combined.
- Sit for 15 mins to allow gluten to activate
- Clean bowl "Closed lid" and add 1.5L of boiling water into the bowl "Closed lid"
- Split the seitan into 2 portions and wrap tightly in baking paper. Place in varoma dish.
- Cook on varoma sp 3.5 for 60 minutes then refill water, reset and cook for a further 60 minutes (total 120 minutes varoma)
- Refrigerate your seitan until cold. Slice the seitan.
Can also be shredded into pieces if desired
Making the seitan
Steaming your seitan
Slicing the seitan
Accessories you need
The seitan can be used as is in sandwiches, or however you would use cooked chicken breast. Stir fries, pot pie, curries, burritos, pasta.
You can shred this recipe with a fork and your fingers if desired.
Change the herbs to suit the intended dish- or even leave it out for a very neutral flavour..dried mixed herbs give the seitan an italian style flavour. Fresh is fine but will turn the seitan greenish. Try Coriander or flat leaf parsley!
Slice the loaves as a substitute for chicken loaf, slice larger ones and bread crumb for nuggets or schnitzel.
Vital Wheat Gluten is available in many health food stores, bread making supply stores, bulk food shops and online. (It may be named Vital wheat gluten, gluten flour, pure gluten)
No other flour will work, the vwg is essential to this recipe.
You may use other beans but chickpeas are quite neutral tasting. You may add other flavourings as this recipe is very forgiving.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Vegetable stew with peanut butter
- SEHAM’S FATTEH
- Iranian Eggplant and Chickpea Stew
- Quorn Chicken Style and Mushroom Stroganoff
- Kisir - Turkish Tabbouli
- Sweet & Sour (not Pork) Cauliflower
- Moroccan eggplant with cauliflower mash
- Beetroot Burgers
- Veggie Loaded Wholefood Pasta Sauce
- The Best Ever Vegan Vegetable Bake
- Onion fritters
- Creamy Coconut Sweet Potato & Chick Pea Curry